Truck Mysteriously Dying..Help Me Brothers... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck Mysteriously Dying..Help Me Brothers...

T-Bone

Reaction score
My '00 is less than 5 months old and has been developing this problem that seems to happen more lately. About once every 3-4 days while I'm idling, it will die. I noticed that it idles around 1000 rpm and drops below that when the a/c or radio is on. Twice before it had died while I was driving )both times I was accelerating).
Now, today it happened twice. Once while idling and the other while I was going 45 MPH. The truck doesn't sputter, it just dies. The check engine and battery light goes on. All I need to do is put it in neutral and turn the key and it starts right up again. What the hell is going on with my new truck!??

Could this be related to my Superchip (air/fuel mixture)? My O2 sensor? Fuel regulator? Ignition system?

I need to get this fixed before the bad weather hits. I drive my kid in this thing.

Thanks in advance!

T-Bone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey T-Bone!...been a while since I've talked to ya! AS for you problem. My guess is probably the chip. When I used to have my '92 explorer, I had a JET chip, everything was fine till after a week or so. The problem I was having when driving through traffic and all the sudden my engine light comes on, then sometimes when I come to a stop and start to accelerate it would die. However it did started right back up. I took it to the dealer and they said had serveral codes. They tested some of the sensors and appeared fine, but when they opened the kick panel (older models ECU was inside) they seen my chip, so they took it out and retest the system and the codes were gone! Therefore I called JET and told they that my chip a problem, so I sent it back to them directly and they sent me a new one and everything ran fine. My second guess is probably a leak around the vaccuum somewhere...was there any lines you had to remove when you took the whole airbox out? Are you using super-unleaded gas all the time, since you got the superchip? How many miles you got now? My '00 seems to shutter when on cold starts, when I give it gas. When the engine is warm, seems fine though. Hope my ideas help, let us know when you get it straighten out.

Originally posted by Xplor
Hey T-Bone!...been a while since I've talked to ya! AS for you problem. My guess is probably the chip. When I used to have my '92 explorer, I had a JET chip, everything was fine till after a week or so. The problem I was having when driving through traffic and all the sudden my engine light comes on, then sometimes when I come to a stop and start to accelerate it would die. However it did started right back up. I took it to the dealer and they said had serveral codes. They tested some of the sensors and appeared fine, but when they opened the kick panel (older models ECU was inside) they seen my chip, so they took it out and retest the system and the codes were gone! Therefore I called JET and told they that my chip a problem, so I sent it back to them directly and they sent me a new one and everything ran fine. My second guess is probably a leak around the vaccuum somewhere...was there any lines you had to remove when you took the whole airbox out? Are you using super-unleaded gas all the time, since you got the superchip? How many miles you got now? My '00 seems to shutter when on cold starts, when I give it gas. When the engine is warm, seems fine though. Hope my ideas help, let us know when you get it straighten out.

Hiya Xplor!
Thanks for the reply. Good info on the chip. Its going out tomorrow so I will see what happens. I'll check the vaccuum by the airbox. And, ya, I'm using the super-UL gas. It must be chip related because this vehicle is too new for sensors to go out. Thanks for the post, I'll let you know what happens.
T-Bone

Yeah, I would take the chip out and disconnect the battery to reset your computer. If the problems do not continue - then hopefully your problem was just a bad chip. I never heard of a car conking out @45mph.

Don't jinx yourself!!!

Don't jinx yourself!!! No such thing as "too new"... my 98 Sport was a week old, and I had babied it all week. Well, with 950 miles on it, I decided, "That's enough babying, let's see what she'll do!" Opened it up (ran like a raped ape!) Grinning from ear to ear! Then, I pull onto my street, and something doesn't seem right... it's shifting rough... real abrupt... hmmmm.... Pull into my parking space, put it in park, and it stalls, like someone turned the key off.... that's odd? ~~~~~~Time warp~~~~~~~ Later that day, I had to run out... shifting rough, hesitating, sputtering, no giddy-up, stalling in parking lots, erratic idle, won't shift out of first gear until the engine warms up, then shifts HARD!... Long story short, defective throttle position sensor! So, with 964 miles on it, it rode a flatbed back to Ohio for it's first service as I boarded a bus for Washington DC. :-( I should've taken the hint right there. ;-)
-Joe-

HOLY T-BONE!!!

Are you avoiding me T?...HMMMM? Are you going to Attica? Are ya? Are ya?

Could be bad gas, it happens sometimes. Friend of mine got a bad take of gas from Amoco no less and fouled his plugs bad.

Just my .02

ARE YOU GOING TO ATTICA?????

Sport!

Write me tonight! When it rains it pours, buddy! Been swamped with orders, had a machine at work die on me, my truck is going sour and my Outlook took a dump and I lost all my contacts and previous email.
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier about Attica. I want to go, but this truck dying thing has got me bummed. I pulled out the Superchip today so I'm going to see how it goes for a week. You know, after I pulled that chip I noticed the lag right away. It really works. Well, ummmm..if my truck runs normal from now on, I guess that kind of contradicts that, right? LOL. Anyway, drop my an email or give me your address again.
later bud.

T-Bone

[Edited by T-Bone on 10-05-2000 at 08:20 PM]

Re: Don't jinx yourself!!!

Originally posted by gijoecam
Don't jinx yourself!!! No such thing as "too new"... my 98 Sport was a week old, and I had babied it all week. Well, with 950 miles on it, I decided, "That's enough babying, let's see what she'll do!" Opened it up (ran like a raped ape!) Grinning from ear to ear! Then, I pull onto my street, and something doesn't seem right... it's shifting rough... real abrupt... hmmmm.... Pull into my parking space, put it in park, and it stalls, like someone turned the key off.... that's odd? ~~~~~~Time warp~~~~~~~ Later that day, I had to run out... shifting rough, hesitating, sputtering, no giddy-up, stalling in parking lots, erratic idle, won't shift out of first gear until the engine warms up, then shifts HARD!... Long story short, defective throttle position sensor! So, with 964 miles on it, it rode a flatbed back to Ohio for it's first service as I boarded a bus for Washington DC. :-( I should've taken the hint right there. ;-)
-Joe-

That's a sad story, my man.

I'll email you , but you never replied last time...shame on you! Anyway, we are going hext weekend, I have a room but it's filling up. A few others have rooms too, but I don't sbout them.

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport
I'll email you , but you never replied last time...shame on you! Anyway, we are going hext weekend, I have a room but it's filling up. A few others have rooms too, but I don't sbout them.

You're right. I'm sorry, man. About Attica, I really need to see how the truck runs over the weekend and next week. Don't worry about saving space in the room. I'll get one for myself (unless they are booked). By the way, how many hookers can you fit into one of them?? j/k :)

T-Bone

Hehe, hookers...

I understand about the truck.

Well, there is some sort of festival in Danville where we are staying and the rooms were scarce when I made a reservation a month ago. They might have something, ya never know...........hookers...hehe

Hey, how are those mudders working out for you? I love those things!

The mudders are great, just ordered a fifth for the spare. I also have Baja rims now instead of the black ones, I just did not like them. I will take pics this weekend and you can post one on your site.

I found a front light bar/bumper for my sport. I am trying to find a grill guard that someone saw on a sporttrac.

Oh ya and I got a CB too.

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 10-05-2000 at 09:42 PM]

Man, T Bone, you sure are bitten. I see you want to get that thing 'blown' from your sig. Expensive hobby ain't it

Originally posted by Tekeman
Man, T Bone, you sure are bitten. I see you want to get that thing 'blown' from your sig. Expensive hobby ain't it

You got that right, brother :) But I ain't beaten yet. My wallet will be back for another beating sooner or later.

Hmm...V8 Xplorer supercharger by Eaton only $3500.

Back