Trustworthy Mechanics - Seattle area? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trustworthy Mechanics - Seattle area?

tgorle

Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Mazda Navajo LX
I'm a new member here, and I've spent several hours during the past few days browsing the forums and taking notes of the problems and possible fixes for some of the nagging issues in my 1991 Navajo.
First off, I'd like to say THANKS for all the "how-to's" that include photos and parts links. I wish I'd have discovered this forum ages ago. Although I can do the work, after 20 years in construction, I just don't have the knees to be spending much time crawling under my rig anymore, and paying exhorbitant dealer rates for overhead is out of the question.

I thought it would be a good idea to enlist the brain trust here to share some recommendations on knowledgable and trusted mechanics in the Seattle area who'd appreciate $30 an hour as a respectable wage for freelancing.

If this concept gains any momentum, the powers that be might possibly see fit to create a general sticky or subforum for recommended mechanics from different regions or cities.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any recommendations you can make. Use your discretion on whether posting is preferable to sending a PM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of maintenance work are you talking about????

Are you ready to go solid axel in front and lock both ends?? ;)

I haven't found any that I trust except other forum members. :cool:

I've got the "4x4 won't engage" issue, most likely from a shattered bumper piece in the shift motor; I've got the slightly sagging door issue that needs a new hinge pins; the "dirty MAF" issue that causes intermittent missing; and some other minor annoyances that any 20 year-old rig would have.

As far as the solid axle and locking hubs, and a 2.5" lift... that would be cool.
But, this is a driver with 220,000 miles, not a trailer queen or weekend warrior.
I'm not one of the clowns who changes tire size because it looks cool and then wonders what the hell happened to their powerband because they didn't change the ring and pinion. So, if I go there, it's all the way or nothing.

Ah, very good. I too am at 220,000 miles and counting. I work out of it every other week running around to job sites up there in SnoCo.

Hmm, the shift motor should be addressed soon as LaNina is here.

Sounds like a lot of things that could be fixed at a NWX BBQ or wrench party. It's about time we have another one or you could come to Little Naches Oct 16-17 and we can work on it by the campfire. :D

We active EF members are scatered from Mt Vernon to Onalaska and over to Seabeck with skills ranging from fabricating roll cages and rocksliders to engine-transmission-transfer case-dash-body replacements and of course solid axel swaps, spring over conversions, locker installs. About the only thing we aren't proficient at is setting up gears,,,,yet;)

If you really want a certified mechanic try Scott Buswell at the Marysville Midas on State Ave N. I would definately recommend him, especially for alignments since that requires specialized equipment.

Thanks. I might be up for some campfire war stories in October...
I've done some ring and pinion swaps, but that was 30 years ago on a '65 Chevy 4.11.

Hello Seattle NWX'ers,

I just found this thread. I'm looking for a good mechanic for my 1996 Ford Explorer. If any of ya'll have found someone or can reccomend someone, I would appreciate it!

I've got Cylinder 6 misfire issues (I just posted on that), as well as whining from under the hood (when cold in the morning for 5 minutes), selenoid (sp?) c issues? (tranny issue?) ... and the list always gets more added to it.

In short, I'd love a mechanic who knows Explorers who I can trust! I'm just over 210,000 and loving my rig ...

LW

As I posted above, if you're looking for an ASE certified mechanic, even though it's a long drive, Scott at Marysville Midas would be my man.

First thing would be to check for codes. Autozone should be able to hook up an OBD II scanner and pull them for you.

In the mean time, Do some searching in the 2nd gen section and you will probably find many clues that would help you do it yourself, provided you have at least basic mechanical skills.

Cheers

When searching for a shop, read reviews online of the experiences others have had. It's a lifesaver. Once past that, eyeball the shop, ask about estimates, is it clean? If they want to charge you to "look at it", and it doesn't involve computer diagnostics, they're only after money.

Lastly, and I'm sure you know, certification matters. As does a warrenty for repairs. Don't be shy about the questions. It's your money and your car. A bad attitude about questions is a bad sign in regard to integrity.

My local shop doesn't have a website and isn't really active on Facebook. It's not a modern or super clean shop either. But I tell you what, they answer their phones quickly, answer any questions I have, always have time to meet in person and churn out happy customer after happy customer. My local guy is an ex-dealership mechanic who started his own shop. I think you'll find more and more of those types of people. They obviously have the knowledge but are tired of the crap that comes with a dealer.

So, my point is, you may not find online reviews. Try to find someone smaller but not necessarily a shadetree mechanic. Stop by their shop and ask them a few questions with the problems you're having, get a feel for the shop and guy running it. It's probably blasphemy for me to say but ASE doesn't necessarily matter. My local shop only hires ASE certified helpers so they can put a big sign on the wall and indicate to the not-so-knowledgeable customers that the mechanics are accepted by an industry standard. But having a certification doesn't necessarily mean that they have competence with your problem or are friendly and don't take forever.

On a more personal note, I do computer repair for the local community. I'm not certified in any way, officially. But my 10+ years of experience gives me the knowledge to tackle most any issue, beat all my competitors prices and have fast turnaround for happy customers. In the years I've been doing this, I think maybe one or two people asked if I was certified. It's a bit different in the automotive industry but just keep in mind that certification shouldn't be the deciding factor.

The shop my family uses in my home town isn't certified, either. But in a small town like that, you either go under or do it right. I've had good experience myself with him. But with another shop in that same town, they had my car for three weeks, acted dodgy about questions, and drove my car to run errands (not test. I found it at a bar!). So, my bottom line is ask questions. Maybe you will find a great shop that isn't fancy but does good work they stand behind it. I love those. But I'm just sayin', if you can find a good spot through reviews, why not?

True, if you CAN find reviews and a website, great. If not, don't write the shop off because of it.

Back