• Register Today It's free!

Turn signal buzzes

Bouche2210

Reaction score
City, State
portland, oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a 97 XLT and when I use my left turn signal it buzzes occasionally. Some days allot! I have checked all the bulbs and none are burned out. The signal also blinks on and off like it is suppose to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are not alone, I have a 97 xlt also and I have heard a strange buzzing noise a few times while using the left turn signal. Everything appears to be OK.

That is very bad!!! Get it fixed immediatly. Your local dealer will know what to do. There is a problem with the multi-function switch and it can cause a fire. It happened once in mine and I saw some smoke come out of it and it smelled very bad. I think its less than $100 to fix it.

i had the same problem actually my dad did before it was given to me but he had the turn signal assembly replaced-Problem Solved.....

mine squeeks as it clicks, is this related?

probably not-there is a definate "buzz" i never heard a "squeeking" sound......but you never know

I wondered about this too! My 99 XLS will buzz when using the left turn signal.....but only if I only hold the turn lever without pushing it all the way where it holds in place. If I just hold the lever down for a quick turn signal blip...then buzz city. It has never done it with the lever clicked into place or with a right turn signal...held or clicked into place.
How bad is this? I certainly don't want a fire. Is there a recall or anything similar? Does Ford recognize this as a problem?
Thanks for the heads up on this potential problem.
Ken

same problem as me.....lol.....i posted above-i never got a fire and as far as i know there is no recall you can get it replaced for like $35.

Well, I had read about it on here and then when it happened to me it freaked me out because it smoked. I called the dealer that day and told them what happened and I could tell that the guy knew exactly what I was talking about and that it's a common problem. I'm willing to bet if you can find proof that this is a common problem and that it did indeed start a fire, there is a way to make it a recall... I'm just not sure who you would have to deal with to do it.

Mine did it just like yours... when you hold it halfway down.

my 2001 does this also

just have the turn signal assembly replaced-i don't know the technical name for it but thats what my dad said he got replaced-it solved the problem and it was under $40...

I'm pretty sure they call it the multi-function switch.

oh ok-well i just asked my dad what was replaced and in between watching the Lakers game he muttered "turn signal assembly"

There's another thread on this

Dead Link Removed

I havent done anything about mine yet. It doesn't do it very often anymore.

add another to the list. mine started this about 2 months ago. and BTW, my buzz is very very loud. only does it about 2-3 times a week.

Mine does it about oncec a month, but the way I see it, whats the worst that can happen? It lights afire and totals the car and I get ford to give me a big discount on buying another explorer so I dont sue... big deal :D,
I'll ask them next time I take it in (if that ever happens.)-----Nate

Go ahead and count me in. Mine does it as well.

Was the approx $40 for the part or to have the dealer replace the part? (my guess is just the part).

Mine was doing this during the fall but somehow "fixed itself". However I woul like to fix it as now that Im driving my son (10 wks old) to from daycare any of the "little" issues take on new meaning. Hate to have a fire and have to get to the other side of the vehicle to get him from the car seat as the truck burns....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back