• Register Today It's free!

Turn signals not working

jimirig

Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Hello everyone! I have used this site religiously to help fix many problems on my explorer. But now I have a problem that I can not find a good answer for. Please help.

My turn signals are not work, right or left. I turned on the hazard and the right side front and back blinked. I banged no the steering column and the left side started working. But still no turn signals. Where should I start? Turn signal flasher or multifunction switch? Oh yea, I already checked the fuses and they were fine. Also, in the past when I hit the left turn signal I would get a buzz so I would turn the signal off and back on and it would work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Multifunction switch. The buzz is a common failure mode. Sometimes they buzz and smoke comes out which is not desirable.

I second the multifunction switch. Mine started doing the same buzzing symptoms then two weeks later smoke came pouring out of the column and it quit all together. Scared the bajeebers out of me seeing the smoke right behind an airbag that's pointed right at my face.:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to swap out the turn signal flasher tonight, and cross my fingers. If was only $13 at autozone. If that does not work, then I'm going to follow the Haynes manual to check the MFS. Wish me luck. My daughters arm is getting tired from giving hand signals..JK :D

I got lucky it, was not the MFS. I put in the turn signal flasher and everything works again. Although I was a little confused. I thought, and was told, there were two of these relay looking things, one for hazards and other for turn signals. I only found one that controlled both. Everything works so I am happy. Who knows may a week from now I will have to change the MFS to get rid of that annoying buzz I hear once in a while.

Thanks for your help!

When you get ready to change the MFS, take a look at fastpartsnetwork.com. They sell Ford OEM parts for discounted prices. I paid about $45 for the new MFS.

Will do. Anything to save a little cash!

Back