• Register Today It's free!

unknown issue, 2002 xlt

deevey

Reaction score
City, State
Guatemala
Year, Model & Trim Level
´02 XLT
hi, im having issues with my car, none of the mechanics ive sent it to can figure it out so maybe someone here can help, it seems to me to be a transmission problem...
specs: ford explorer 2002 xlt (automatic, 3 speed), 1 major crash in 05; cracked axle was the biggest deal.
what if feels like: as if the fuel injectors arent sending out enough fuel
or the shifts arent going in right
what happens: -while driving in drive (err, sorry no pun intended :p:)
-starts when going faster than 40km/hr (thats like 25 mph)
--starts jumping like a manual does when someone is learning to make shifts, gas pedal vibrates then grinds, sometimes the speed gauge goes crazy (car accelerates by itself)
things i´ve tried (i know some are kinda stupid but i am desperate by now):
1. shifting to neutral: (continues grinding...somewhere, a part of the motor apparently unknown to the world of Guatemalan mechanics) slows down a few gears from where it "should" be, or supposedly should be according to the acceleration.
2. crank the gas still in drive: grinds less but still does, revs a bunch like if it were accelerating while in neutral, jumps a bit (you feel it more on the petal than in the car)
3. shift to neutral and crank the gas: revs a bunch (obviously), keeps grinding but less, jumps less.
4. shift to the manual transmissions (has 3, tried all 3 in all possible orders): whole car vibrates and grinds, never gets into the proper gear or shifts proberly to others (including reverse, but reverse doesn't have this issue so much)
options 2 and 3 usually fix the problem, 3 more than 2 (2 makes it jump to much, i feel like its gonna short circuit or something)
mechanics say: its not the injectors, the gas tank and affiliates, the computer, or the transmission...?!
ergo my dilemma...
my conclusions: all the mechanics in this country are stupid (including the ford agency)
it seriously cant be that mysterious, so someone please help!! :help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a 4x4?

Cheapest thing first... put your front tires on the back and the back tires on the front.

The explorers have an automatic 4x4 system. Meaning when wheel slippage is detected, 4x4 will engage the front wheels.

If your tires are worn unevenly, different ages, or odd brands or different sizes they turn at slightly different speeds, fooling the 4x4 system to think there is slippage and then engages 4x4 which can cause bucking, clunking etc.

Worth a shot.

wouldn't, or shouldn't the auto 4x4 light blink if this is the issue though?

No, the 4x4 high light only illuminates when you put it manually in 4x4 high.

In auto mode there are no lights

will do, but this still doesn't explain the self-accelerating...

Nope.. but its free to try.

:) true. still it be great to figure the whole thing out

Does it do it in 4x4 Hi and 4x4 Low?

Might be related to the transfer case. There is clutch in there you know.

Have you checked the transfer case fluid level and condition?

Back