• Register Today It's free!

Updating '97 EB JBL Audio System

pacman

Reaction score
City, State
Milpitas, CA (SF Bay Area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 EB
I am debating updating the JBL system in my '97 EB, but I am having difficulty getting information on how the system is wired. I want to keep the head unit and CD changer(because of cost and looks) and upgrade the sub, door speakers, and amplifier's (I actually want to add my Sony electronic crossover, kicker amps(3), sub(12"), and speakers, all from a previously owned vehicle). The problem is that I don't know if the head unit has line level outs that I can use(to use the crossover I need line level(RCA)). Does anyone have any info about where the factory amp(s) are located, the JBL wiring/schematics or know where I can get them? I found power and speaker wiring info from Country Car Radio's web site, but they don't have any info about the factory amp(s) wiring.

By the way, the JBL system sounds really good if you compare it to other factory systems. The only complaint I have is that the sub is not quite as strong or low as I like and the door speakers can't handle the low frequencies very well(I am suprised that JBL/Ford didn't put in a crossover to send the lows only to the sub!).

Thanks for the help!!

I had the same idea... I went to an Audio Dealer in MPLS and found out that Ford wires their equip through the entire car. The faceplate is just that, a faceplate, with no "guts" behind it.

Anyway... to upgrade the Sub in the back of my 98EB, I would have had to pull EVERYTHING out of the car and invest almost $4000 just to get it to the same level it was at when it left the factory.

The moral: Be careful. I don't know how acurate this is (and would LOVE to hear if it is not) but it sounds like it can be a bigger investment than what you're barganing for.

Whoever gave you that info about your sub has no idea what they are talking about.
There are quite a few options available and adapters to go from the stock ford levels to standard amps.

4000 bux would have you kickin some extreme custom work and competition sound kid. a pro install of your amps would be about 300 bux including the adapter they would have to put in to turn your line level to RCA preouts, and i dont like those things. If you already have all the existing stuff it would cost you the price of whatever other equipment you are going to add plus a maximum of 400 or 500 for a killer super clean install. shave a 0 off that estimate and it is more like a realistic figure, if you havent bought anything yet, 500 is generous for an install. if you know nothing about stereos and you pay for everything to be installed it shouldnt reach 1000, unless you are taking off every panel and running 2 gauge wires and sound deadening everything and powering insane stuff.

Back