vibrations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

vibrations

zeizeies

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Ltd 4.6
-02 4x4 4.6, 155t miles.

In about week period start to vibrate, not suddenly but it getting worse slowly.
When start to move, can feel vibration, together with very little sound(? not sure). When driving in town slowly, around 25-40 mph it shakes/vibrates a bit. First it was so small "note" that I tought its just my imagination.
Comes back at 55 mph, to 75 mph, and its getting worse by time too.

Auto box works, almost, ok; oil chanced 1500 miles ago. No fault codes anyway.
Oils chanced to front and rear diff + transfer too. All oils recommeded types.

CV boots ok. Tyres are new.

Got stucked badly in snow 2 weeks ago. I Heard few times banging noise from transmission when try to go away, reversing.

Couldn`t find any "typical problem" for these from forum, at least after 1 h searching :)
Where to look? After CV:s and F&R propshaft joints (yokes)

Checked today front driveshaft, halfshafts, diff etc.

- diff ok
- upper ball joints worn out, 1/8" to 1/4" play.
- left outer cv worn out
- right driveshaft (EDIT: half shaft) : lot of play between driveshaft (EDIT: half shaft) inner cv and "middle solid axle/it`s housing", and seal is leaking.

I think most of the vibrations comes from inner cv & diff axle joint. Is there sleeve bearing or something like that in the axle casing ?

New upper ball joints now in place, R & L. Little less vibrations around 60-70 mph, peak still around 75 mph.
Intresting enough, someone has cutted "spikes" off from adjusting plate ("washer") and now I need to bring the car to the garage for 4-wheel aligment. I tried to put it back by marks in rust/dust, but steering wheel angle is wrong and car shakes when accelerate and turn little to right. Oh well.. :frustrate
No any evidence of crash or similar.

Back