Want to install roof rails or cargo carrier | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to install roof rails or cargo carrier

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I am thinking about doing the opposite. 2013 Interceptor with no roof rails. I want to put roof bars or directly mount a cargo basket ... turning a police SUV into a camping SUV. Is there a good system that is low profile rack that can go on the roof of this "slick top" that can be used as a rack or adapted to basket use?

THANKS for any info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep in mind that according to the 2013 Manual, the total weight should not exceed 100 pounds and any item should not sit directly on the roof.

Peter

Keep in mind that according to the 2013 Manual, the total weight should not exceed 100 pounds and any item should not sit directly on the roof.

Peter

Got it. Thinking that some Thule / Yakima system is out there that can provide some sort of base to add a rack. Nothing too heavy, snowboards or light baggage, the occasional baby stroller, etc. Thanks.

I bought a PIU to use for camping/ fishing. I think the best option to get my canoe on top is to install a factory civilian roof rack system. First order of business though is to actually get her on the road.

I bought a PIU to use for camping/ fishing. I think the best option to get my canoe on top is to install a factory civilian roof rack system. First order of business though is to actually get her on the road.
Just keep this in mind.
"Note: The maximum recommended load is 100 pounds (45 kilograms), evenly distributed on the crossbars."

Peter

Just keep this in mind.
"Note: The maximum recommended load is 100 pounds (45 kilograms), evenly distributed on the crossbars."

Peter
Yeah the owners manual for my Nissan versa says "do not tow with your versa" but Curt makes a trailer hitch and I had 3 motorcycles on the trailer behind me ... They put these warnings in the owners manuals to keep you from using vehicles to their true potential. (My opinion) if I have to I'll figure out a way to beef up the roof structure.

Yeah the owners manual for my Nissan versa says "do not tow with your versa" but Curt makes a trailer hitch and I had 3 motorcycles on the trailer behind me ... They put these warnings in the owners manuals to keep you from using vehicles to their true potential. (My opinion) if I have to I'll figure out a way to beef up the roof structure.
It has nothing to do with the roof structure. It has everything to do with the vehicle's stability. It is to prevent it from becoming 'top-heavy'.
Saw this on another forum; By design, US auto roofs must be able to support 1.5x the weight of the car.

Peter

It has nothing to do with the roof structure. It has everything to do with the vehicle's stability. It is to prevent it from becoming 'top-heavy'.
Saw this on another forum; By design, US auto roofs must be able to support 1.5x the weight of the car.

Peter
My 17' canoe only weighs 91 pounds (according to the manufacturer) so I'm good there anyway.

You will be fine. Do not use the factory cross bars anyway those can barely hold a snowboard. Get some beefy cross bars like Malone or Thule that lock onto the roof rails.. use strong stainless steel hardware and watch bolt length so you dont hit the roof/glass. I put my front rack about qtr inch behind the moonroof so tilt function would still work. Measure everything twice

You will be fine. Do not use the factory cross bars anyway those can barely hold a snowboard. Get some beefy cross bars like Malone or Thule that lock onto the roof rails.. use strong stainless steel hardware and watch bolt length so you dont hit the roof/glass. I put my front rack about qtr inch behind the moonroof so tilt function would still work. Measure everything twice
The OP doesn't have roof rails.. he is trying to mount directly on top of the roof.

I would recommend at least getting the rails. The rails bolt into specific re-enforced structure points that can handle weight. From there you could technically put a cargo carrier and bolt it directly to the rails.. with or without the crossbars depending on the cargo carrier. I kind of did this with a cargo carrier from a Hummer, that I put on my explorer.

Back