*Warning* Safety issue -- throttle sticking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

*Warning* Safety issue -- throttle sticking

Kamel

Reaction score
City, State
Orange Park, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L
Whew, finally I have downed this horrible problem I have been having. The problem was, the throttle would stick when pressed hard, or near being floored. Very scary and yet a very easy fix. After getting a throttle body cleaner and cleaning the entire thing it was still sticking. Finally, I discovered that there is a plastic [which appears cardboard at first] with insulated backing (93 2WD Eddie Bauer) cover under the carpet. Just over the top of the carpet, this backing had come loose somewhat and the gas pedal had ripped the plastic. When I was hitting the gas too hard, the plastic would grab hold of the back of the pedal and make it get stuck in the floored position.

I was so relieved I fixed it and am sure that the same thing could happen with many explorers of this time. If you have one, check behind the pedal and see if it's already ripped. Mine had been ripped since before I even got my explorer since the previous owner had put some duct tape there (which surely didn't help keep it from sticking). Very easy fix, worth it for everyone to make precautions for this problem. Cutting the plastic may not be the only fix, perhaps you could reinforce it for even better results. Since mine had lost its seal (I believe the backing may be for engine noise/heat purposes) already I saw no point in trying to repair it. It may be worth it to you to reinforce the area behind the gas pedal before the cracking even begins. I don't know if all explorers have this backing, so I have no idea who it may apply to.

Back