Well, I've looked up on resonator threads.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well, I've looked up on resonator threads....

ryanmagahis

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
but I just want more answers for myself. I have all stock and dont really want to buy anything exhaust wise 'cause it's a V6. I've heard videos and some are good but it just doesn't fulfill my need's like a V8 sound.
So I was wondering if I took out the resonator and just end the exhaust out the muffler, would it be kind of better sounding and would I lose performance or gain just a tiny bit. I'm just not liking the sound anymore after having this car for about 9-10 years now since my dad got it brand new haha. Wow, 9-10 years. I don't think we've had very many problems with it from my knowledge of it.
I just want a slightly different sound than stock 'cause I was next to my friend at a stoplight who also has a 98 explorer all stock and he floored it and it just didn't sound too great in my opinion. It sounded too constricting.
Any ideas will help, Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont do it ull loose performance
a resy is used for back pressure and x's need that.
just try switchin to a flowmaster type muffler
or wut ever other performance muffler!!!
hope that helps

What is the importance of backpressure? Like, is it supposed to help accelarate better or what?
Eh, I dont know. I would get a better muffler. Advanced auto parts has an orginal 40 series flowmaster for like 74 bucks. But I have a V6. If I actually see a 4.0 with an upgraded muffler in person, maybe I'd take a look into it.

Why would be removing the resonator be any worse than switching out the muffler for say a Flowmaster or Magnaflow? The tailpipe isn't the biggest restriction in the exhaust, its the muffler. Just cutting off the tailpipe will probably give you some annoying resonance in the cab without affecting power. I would just buy a catback system or have on custom installed. There are quite a few options.

Dan

Yeah thats true. I'm just a really picky person though. And I would want it to sound good for a v6. Personally I like sound slightly better than performance when it comes to an exhaust. And that would probably mean changing pipe sizes and what not. But my Dad isn't too big on this whole performance ideas so he really never let's me take action on them.

dont do it ull loose performance
a resy is used for back pressure and x's need that.
just try switchin to a flowmaster type muffler
or wut ever other performance muffler!!!
hope that helps

Don't listen to him, he's wrong. Resonators are not used for back pressure, they are used to silence the exhaust sound more.

I personally have a offroad Y pipe that opened all the pipes up manifold down to 2.5" (stock is 2") and it's fine. You run into backpressure problems when you run true duals and such. Single exhaust pipe that is 2.5" or less is best. Highflow muffler is best.

Ive had it once when I cut out the resonator and kept the stock muffler. Its just a TAD louder at heavy acceleration but thats it. Resonator doesnt do much. If you're worried about sound, get like a 2.5" flowmaster 70 and aftermarket resonator. Quiet and high flowing. You're SOHC will love it. Intake compliments this well.

By killing backpressure on the SOHC motor, you lose low end torque. The sohc motor like some back pressure (no idea why) Just keep the piping at 2.5" and single tail out the rear and youll be fine.

Well, if thats the case maybe I'll try it. I can always buy clamps for like 2 bucks anyway.
I gotta tell you, I really like this sound especially when he rev's it but I dont like that sound after the revving:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovxQAL68RCY

Maybe I'll just buy a cone filter and see how it goes wtih the resonator off?

Back