• Register Today It's free!

What am I missing in these pics?

ghost98

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer AWD
I have a 96 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD and I am having trouble with the brakes pulsing when I'm using them at low speeds. I got underneath to check out if maybe the ABS sensors had come undone etc and noticed I am missing a plugin on both sides (obviously something was cut on the passenger side). I have attached pics. Does something plug in from one side to the other?

Driver Side
IMG002.jpg

Passenger Side
IMG001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those plugs are for the fog lights. Looks like someone cut one off? What the hell..

Those plugs are for the fog lights. Looks like someone cut one off? What the hell..

Ohhh ok yes the bottom part of the bumper is missing so the fog lights are too. So what could be causing the pulsating? I just had the two front hubs and brakes replaced..

Ohhh ok yes the bottom part of the bumper is missing so the fog lights are too. So what could be causing the pulsating? I just had the two front hubs and brakes replaced..

Could be the back brakes. Or, your new rotors might not be flat/true; especially if they are cheap Chinese parts. After seeing a number of brand new rotors/drums be "off", I have everything put on a brake lathe and checked before I put it in. They can check them without cutting, unless needed.

Well I purchased the HUBS and brakes from 1A Auto. Don't they normally carry pretty good parts?

They don't make the parts, they just sell them.

What brand are they? In any case, even "good" rotors can warp slightly from storage.

They don't make the parts, they just sell them.

What brand are they? In any case, even "good" rotors can warp slightly from storage.

I know they don't make them jeez...

It doesn't feel like rotors, it feels like something electronic

Then put a scanner on it, and check for ABS and/or speed sensor related codes. Also try watching the real-time data from the each individual wheel sensor, while someone else drives. See if one is giving "weird" or inconsistent data.

The ABS system on these trucks is a ...
I've had constant trouble with my ABS to the point where I just disconnected it.

If you have a pulsating pedal everytime you brake, does the ABS light go on? Sounds to me like a bad rear sensor..

The ABS system on these trucks is a ...
I've had constant trouble with my ABS to the point where I just disconnected it.

If you have a pulsating pedal everytime you brake, does the ABS light go on? Sounds to me like a bad rear sensor..

The light doesn't go on and I even pulled the guages to make sure someone didn't pull the light out. The car will skid if I slam on the brakes so maybe it's already been disabled? It didn't pulsate before I changed the hubs and brakes but it did skid before. I'm a half ass shade tree mechanic and I just want to get it driving decent.

Then you did something wrong with the hubs. Probably a warped rotor as stated above.
Did you hammer the rotors off the old hubs?

Pull the ABS fuse and see if the pulsating goes away. If it doesn't it's not the ABS system.

I pulled the fuse yesterday and it didn't make a difference. Does that point to the rotors then?

Back