• Register Today It's free!

what gear ratio do i need?

jacobmc

Reaction score
City, State
wetumpka,alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ranger
i have a 95 ranger 4.0 5 speed i want to run 33s it curently has 3.27s i was going to put 3.73s in it that i got from an explorer.i was just wondering if this is the rite ratio or do i need lower?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the correct ratio for 33's is more like 4:10 or 4:56,
4:10 for highway and general driving,
4:56 for off roading as it will use a bit more fuel,,

the correct ratio for 33's is more like 4:10 or 4:56,
4:10 for highway and general driving,
4:56 for off roading as it will use a bit more fuel,,

Ditto.. What he said.. Course, if its a trailer queen, or not a DD, 4.88's will work really well for off-road with a manual trans if you don't have a doubler.

~Mark

X^ At least 4.56!! Dont fear the gear!!

im runnin 4.88s with 33s. I go through a tank of gas a week but i'll be damned if this pig don't have some giddy-up on and off the pavement.

ok thanks for the info i think im going with 31s rite now until i get out of college then im going with 37s and a sas.

i run a 35 inch tire off road now, and i have 4:10 gear, but i would entertain the idea of one day going to 4:56, maybe 4:88

There is a chart around here somewhere that gives the actual gear ratios to get you back to stock levels with different size tires.
I think 33's are 4:56 and 35's is 4:88.

I am running 33's with 4:56's and love it. Good for wheelin' and on the highway.

...There are a couple gear charts to be found in the "How to" in my signature..;)

The question though is, what is stock?

For example.. Stock 235x75r15 with 3.27 is the same as 33x12.50r15 with 4.10.

Also, Most, if not all gear "charts" are for a 1:1 ratio. Thats means for a transmission without an OD. All explorers came with a trans that has an overdrive, so those charts aren't really setup for use with a vehicle with an OD.

What I do is do a little math..
I use the calculator on 4lo.com (http://4lo.com/calc/gearratio.htm) and plug in my current settings to get a baseline.
Then I change the tire size and gear ratios to try to get the rpms about the same as they were with the baseline.
That tire size/gear ratio combo will get you "about" the same performance as the baseline. Keep in mind, bigger tires are also heavier so that will affect the "feel" also.

~Mark

Back