what width between leafs for SAS?(2nd gen) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what width between leafs for SAS?(2nd gen)

is there an optimal width between the leaf springs when doing a 2nd gen SAS? All the write-ups I have seen show the rear mount of the front spring sitting just outside the center of the frame but not completely outside the frame if that makes any sense. Seems to me it would be easier if the spring was mounted directly under the frame or completely outside the frame. The axle we are using doesn't have any mounts on it yet so we can set the perches wherever we choose, just wondering if there would be a way to have a bolt-on hanger/shackle or something that wont require welding for the rear mount. The front mount we are making a crossmember that will be welded to the frame. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put them as far outside as you can without making contact with the tire at full lock. Which is usually not entirely possible. Obviously you have to get the spring somewhere between the pumpkin and the tire. On my axle I have it as close to the pumpkin as I can get it and the tire still rubs the leaf. You have to just find the lesser of two evils. What axle?

dana 44 from a 76 f150....narrowed 6 inches. we are using stock height 7 leaf waggy springs, and gonna run a 35x12.50 tire

Put them as far outside as you can without making contact with the tire at full lock. Which is usually not entirely possible. Obviously you have to get the spring somewhere between the pumpkin and the tire. On my axle I have it as close to the pumpkin as I can get it and the tire still rubs the leaf. You have to just find the lesser of two evils. What axle?

Why do you want them as far out as possible? I thought that the further in they were the more travel you would have. Obviously you can't put the right on top of the pumpkin, but why try to push them out? To minimize axle steer?

Why do you want them as far out as possible? I thought that the further in they were the more travel you would have. Obviously you can't put the right on top of the pumpkin, but why try to push them out? To minimize axle steer?

Stability. Plus the farther out the softer spring rate you can run to keep it stable. It is all a give and take.

looks like we will be able to run the springs directly under the frame, well at least the rear of the spring where the shackle mount will be. What shackle and mount is everyone using for the waggy 2.5in wide springs??

Back