What's the diff between tow and non-tow 06 V8 Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the diff between tow and non-tow 06 V8 Explorers

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Hi -

I am shopping for a used 06 Explorer and need the V8 for my trailer. Most of them come with that funny 1 1/4 receiver, even those with V8 !!!!
So what are differences between the v6-small receiver vs v6 with 2 " receiver, and v8 with v8 and 2" receiver ? I read something about oil cooler, or is it tranny cooler ?

Thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im pretty sure the tow package comes with lower gears and a tranny cooler...

Not really...

That's what I thought, but the V8 is listed with 3.73 only.

Where did you see that 06+ V8's had 3.73? They all have 3.55's as far as I know. To my knowledge the only gear difference is between V6 and V8, regardless of tow package.

I believe the only additional features in the 06+ tow packages (again, regardless of V6 or V8) is the 4/7-pin wiring and the frame mounted class II or class III/IV.

Where did you see that 06+ V8's had 3.73? They all have 3.55's as far as I know. To my knowledge the only gear difference is between V6 and V8, regardless of tow package.

I believe the only additional features in the 06+ tow packages (again, regardless of V6 or V8) is the 4/7-pin wiring and the frame mounted class II or class III/IV.
You can get the 3.73 final drive as an option, I think like class 3 towing package on the V6 or something like that or maybe the V8, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Back