Wheel Load Rating

FunctionalSpool

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello!

I've been lurking on here for a bit while building my 2017 Explorer Sport, lots of great advise and wisdom shared! Thank you for that. One thing I'm stuck on and unable to find much information on is wheel load rating. I've been searching all over the internet in hopes to find some answers before I made myself look stupid on here, but unable to find much.

I'm searching for a decent looking wheel and I've found quite a few but, the Wheel Load Rating is usually around 1,500 - 1,750lbs. The Gross Weight of a 2017 Explorer Sport seems to be 6,160lbs from what I can find. The wheels I'm finding would definitely work, but I'm curious if I should take towing into account? The answer might be obvious but, I can't find an answer, would the weight of a trailer attached put me over the wheel rating?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look up max tow rating capacity. Then 10-15% of trailer weight is on tongue, so that would be on the rear wheels. YOU do the math...

Look up max tow rating capacity. Then 10-15% of trailer weight is on tongue, so that would be on the rear wheels. YOU do the math...
Right, yeah, I wasn't asking YOU to do the math. Thanks!

Right, yeah, I wasn't asking YOU to do the math. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I admit I'm not very familiar with this, so is it the wheel or tire or both that should be taken into account? My uneducated guess would be both.
I did find this but not sure if it is helpful.
The load rating of a wheel, as determined by the wheel manufacturer, must never be exceeded. Manufacturers identify a wheel’s maximum load rating and tire diameter by checking the back of the wheel or with the wheel manufacturer. If the load rating is not available the wheel should not be used on the vehicle. Wheel load rating requirements are determined by dividing the vehicles heaviest gross axle weight rating by 2. The axle weight rating for most vehicles is shown on the identification label located on the driver’s side door jamb, gas tank door, truck lid or glove compartment.
I'm only guessing that the tongue weight should also be considered if towing.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I admit I'm not very familiar with this, so is it the wheel or tire or both that should be taken into account? My uneducated guess would be both.
I did find this but not sure if it is helpful.
The load rating of a wheel, as determined by the wheel manufacturer, must never be exceeded. Manufacturers identify a wheel’s maximum load rating and tire diameter by checking the back of the wheel or with the wheel manufacturer. If the load rating is not available the wheel should not be used on the vehicle. Wheel load rating requirements are determined by dividing the vehicles heaviest gross axle weight rating by 2. The axle weight rating for most vehicles is shown on the identification label located on the driver’s side door jamb, gas tank door, truck lid or glove compartment.
I'm only guessing that the tongue weight should also be considered if towing.

Peter
Thanks Peter! I've read through this as well and it's not as clean cut as I had hoped. Weird that there isn't much information regarding this. I'm going to reach out to Ford and see what they have to say!

Back