Where the hell is it going?

00XLS

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Frackville/State College PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 00 XLS
I keep having to add antifreeze to my X, I'm not sure if it was low when I bought it or what. I haven't found any leaks yet? is it possible to be burning it? gas mileage is decent and no white smoke or anything. just about to turn 39K

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how much are you adding how often? Have you checked the oil for contamination?

I've been adding coolant every once and a while for over two years. Alao have to keep replacing #4 plug every 2K to 10K. I have a couple plugs that I bead blast off the residue and reuse. Asyou can see, I suffer from cronic lazyness.

if your replacing the #4 plug that often, it sounds like your head gasket is about to go up or maybe your have some problems with the #4 cylinder.. Maybe a low compression or something.. (wait I realized opera house kind of took this thread hostage or something) Definately try pulling your plugs 00XLS and check for some fouling.. Also you might wanna check your hoses, they can go bad from the inside.

My 99 xls did that same exact thing aonly at 30k miles. The heads were bad.

Odds ? Head gasket, slight leak. (and thank God I am not the only lazy guy around!)

Just be on the lookout for other symptoms like skipping when you first start it, stumbling at load, O2 sensors going bad, besides the usual leaks. With gas $2 a gallon, I just might get the ambition to do the intake gasket.

Mileage is good, I'm not getting an CEL lights, I just changed the oil and there was no contamination. I ususally have to fill it up to Cold Fill Line. Far as other symptoms there are none :fire:

Fill it from the radiator with the engine warming up.. The bottle is just the overflow bottle..

That's funny, I have the exact opposite problem. Everytime I drive for more than 10 miles and park....later when I go out in the garage there is always a puddle of water right behind the right front wheel. I have checked everywhere and just cannot find a leak. There is no pattern of dripping from anywhere...bone dry. The radiator fluid holds fine, and I have NOT run the AC or heater, or anything....only vent. It drives me crazy, but it only smells and feels like water.
Maybe if we combine out problems they will equal out?
Have you checked or replaced your radiator cap?
Ken

It could be your heater control valve.. I would suspect that or the heater core...

I would second the heater control valve. Just did mine at 97,000. Took 5 minutes. Autozone 14.99.

Whoops, didn't see the response on plug. Yeah check for compression and run a leak down test.

Back