Where To Buy A Police Horn...Not Siren | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where To Buy A Police Horn...Not Siren

OMGLOLetcetc

Reaction score
City, State
Cherry Hill
I have a 98' EB Explorer.
For as long as I could remember, I always wanted to make a Undercover Police car as a project. I already ordered the grill lights, strobes, and have plans on making a Plexglass wall for the back seat. The point for all this? Boredom and I wanted a fun project.
Anyways, The one thing I cant find for my project is a Police car horn, not a siren, but a horn.
You know when cops beep their horn, it makes that "EH EH!" noise (if that makes any sense to you...) I want one of those. Does any one have any idea where to find one? I suspect if I hook up a car alarm horn as a car horn, that might work...but I dont want to buy one if that wont work.

Anyone have any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do beleive section is corect on that one.

The last 2 jobs ive been at ive worked on vehicles belonging to the goverment. any of the ones that have worked on have had the same 9 or so button switcher for light and siren controll, and thats where the noise you are describing has come from. did a quick search online, but cant find the controller box im used to seeing.

Thanks alot guys, it looks like a good unit. Im gonna pick it up and see how it works out.

I would be damned carefull because "impersonating" is a major ticket.
Not real sure I feel comfortable helping out on such a project.

I would be damned carefull because "impersonating" is a major ticket.
Not real sure I feel comfortable helping out on such a project.

I have no intent on putting on the lights/siren when driving. I am also aware that just having these mods on my truck, without them turned on, is grounds for a ticket if a officer inspects the car and see them.
I know the risks, but still wish to do it to my truck.

Air horns are illegal in some areas on passenger vehicles. Unless you have a valid reason to have strobes, leds, siren, etc I'd suggest not having them. If you happen to have them and a police officer happens to see them they will question why you have it and ultimately can issue you a citation for various charges. Trust me I used to install them part time, unless you can provide valid reasons why you have them installed, you will get in trouble.

Each state has its own legality use for fire/ems services or for other emergency services.

i just got mine today from deal extreme. goto sound dogs dot com and look for siren noises. i have some in my ipod like the typical "Blarp" i will add a line in into the mouth piece. allegedly 60wats for 30 bux. Id be more afraid of people with road rage than cops. i will use very carfully.

Heres some pix of mine

IMG00688.jpg

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo178/cuagamailero/IMG00689.jpg

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo178/cuagamailero/IMG00681.jpg

As far as legality, there's no problem with the lights or the siren.

It's the COLOR of the lights that matters.

You CAN'T have BLUE lights on the vehicle, and you can't have ANY RED lights facing forwards on the front half. This includes both solid and flashing lights.

If you have flashing blue or red lights like a lightbar or a window light facing forward, and you're not a police officer, volunteer firefighter, EMT, etc. it's instant grounds for being arrested and having your vehicle seized in just about every city and state. Even in places where it's not expressly forbidden, the officers will almost always at least take the offender to jail and hold them for 72 hours or whatever they can, just to have the vehicle impounded and somone who might be impersonating a police officer and endangering the lives of others off the street while they figure out the extent of what's really going on.

You can, however, have strobes in the taillights, although this is still iffy, as most non-emergency vehicles with strobes have them in white or amber.

Flashing headlights are iffy, but you can get away with it unless the officer sees you driving with them on.

You can also have additional red taillights, such as those in the rear window for stop and tail lights. Whether these can be wired up as flashing lights is a tough call, the same as whether you can have strobes in the taillights.

If you want to be 100% legal and not worry about getting arrested, you can have amber strobes or flashing lights, since this is the same as putting your flashers on, or the amber lights on tow trucks, security vehicles, etc. You can also have the amber lightbar on the rear that directs traffic to one side or the other.

The siren itself isn't illegal or a problem, if you use it to impersonate a police vehicle, especially with the lights, in traffic or on public roads, you risk the worst possible outcome of both prison time and having your vehicle seized..permanently. If you just do it on private property for show, it's usually not a problem.

I'd say stick with amber lights and the siren.

Anime i dont mean to be a smart ass but how do you know this for sure?

The STATE laws for just about all 50 states, with few variations, clearly state that it is against the law for any non-emergency vehicles to have blue lights, or red lights on the forward half of the vehicle.

Most states allow AMBER lights all around (some even allow it as a color for taillights), including flashing amber lights to indicate a vehicle is being towed, or a hazard in a work zone (construction vehicles, phone/cable/satellite provider trucks, etc.)

The only 'iffy' areas are other colors. There are states that use blue and red on service or construction vehicles, and other colors for EMTs or funeral vehicles.

In general, though, you won't get away with using blue or red in ANY state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_vehicle_lighting

Back