• Register Today It's free!

Which gearbox do I have?

marcjagman

Reaction score
City, State
Barnsley
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer 4.0
I have a UK 4.0 Explorer auto, 1999 can anyone tell me which gearbox it will have please? According to the paperwork it appears to be a standard model.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer transmission...

Your truck should have a 5R55E 5 speed automatic factory installed in it...

My 96 is 4x4 and only has the 4 speed I assume since there is no OD option on the column

Strange, when I input my vin#s it shows pretty much all the options my Explorers came with. I tried your # and it gave me very little info. Must be a GB thang. If you didn't have some mystical GB machine, I'd say for near certainty that you have the 5r55e.

Strange, when I input my vin#s it shows pretty much all the options my Explorers came with. I tried your # and it gave me very little info. Must be a GB thang. If you didn't have some mystical GB machine, I'd say for near certainty that you have the 5r55e.

If you go on Parkers.co.uk it states that they have a 4sp auto box, and this link does show 2 different boxes for 1999. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239360

Had a look at the VIN tag and the gearbox fitted is D, according to this chart that means: D (1997-2005) ..... A5LDE / 5R44/55E

Back