• Register Today It's free!

"Whistling" on cold start

Infinity08

Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac LTD
When starting the truck cold (and I mean <20*), I get a whistling that does change with engine RPM. It does not sound like a pulley squeak, but like one of those wooden locomotive whistles, kind of a hollow hoot. This goes away once the vehicle warms a bit, but what is it? I took it to the dealer, and of course, weather warmed and it didn't do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's the heated PCV valve. Look on the front passenger's side of the intake manifold. You'll see it.

Is it supposed to do that?

Can I fix it, or do I need to head to the dealer for a replacement? I work nights, so getting something scheduled for me is tough.

Dealer. Unless you want to buy the parts.

Pulley squeak

There is a TSB on an assessory pulley squeak, it only happens in the cold and it goes away after ~10 mintues of engine running. The TSB was posted about a month ago so it's still pretty new. It only pertains to the 4.6 V8. I have the same issue and need to take it in for replacement.

Good luck,
PJ

There is a TSB on an assessory pulley squeak, it only happens in the cold and it goes away after ~10 mintues of engine running. The TSB was posted about a month ago so it's still pretty new. It only pertains to the 4.6 V8. I have the same issue and need to take it in for replacement.

Good luck,
PJ

I haven't taken mine in yet due to time issues (OT abound). Do you have a link to the TSB??

I haven't taken mine in yet due to time issues (OT abound). Do you have a link to the TSB??

bump. I need that TSB. I can't find it. Google hath failed :roll:

Paperwork on my truck has the TSB as 08 04 02, which replaces part number 6L3Z-6C348-A. Good luck.

Thank you. A search for that recall, even by name, is fruitless. I'll go see the guys next week.

Back