Who makes an after market Steering Shaft? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who makes an after market Steering Shaft?

Novak13

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Eddie Bauer
The steering shaft in my 2001 Eddie Bauer Explorer is going bad and needs to be replaced. Ford has discontinued the part and there are none left at any dealer. I have but two from a junkyeard and they don;t fit.

Does anyone know of an after market supplier who might have them?

I have already tried Flaming River (who could make one if I had the measurements) and Borgeson.

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How bad is it? I searched around for a replacement, and there was nothing reasonable. What I found was quite expensive and may not even fit.

What I did do is empty a can of fluid film into every possible moving part of it, and it is working for years now. I had severe binding.

Surprisingly - no aftermarket part - you'd think Dorman would be all over this.

Search on Ebay for a few weeks - they come up from time to time NEW OLD STOCK (and command a steep price).

Also, there are LOTS of used ones on Ebay that you could send out to get rebuilt so you can keep driving on your old one.

Use the search term "intermediate (or lower) steering shaft ford explorer 2001"

Hope that helps -

Thanks guys. 96eb96 it is good in one direction but bad in the other. The Boot is ripped so junk is getting into it.

I think I found one on craigs list. Someone is parting out a Mountaineer.

Thanks guys. 96eb96 it is good in one direction but bad in the other. The Boot is ripped so junk is getting into it.

I think I found one on craigs list. Someone is parting out a Mountaineer.

If the one from CL fits, but is toast as well, try getting it for just a few $ and then try to get Flaming River or Borgeson to rebuild it. That would be your best bet. USED ones on EBay, on average, are going for over $100!!! It would be great to see the thread continue with - ultimately - resolution/problem solved! Before and after pics - prices - the swap out. ;-)

This is on my list to do as well and here's a link I had bookmarked unfortunately the pics are now gone because if the Photobucket debacle.

2nd gen steering upgrade

This is on my list to do as well and here's a link I had bookmarked unfortunately the pics are now gone because if the Photobucket debacle.

2nd gen steering upgrade

Cool - thanks for that link - pretty good material there!!!

If you can use CHROME as a web-browser, here is a FIX for the whole Photobucket Taking Photos Hostage situation.

It is a free fix (extension), and it allows you to see the photos as posted to the original threads! There are a few FREE solutions available for CHROME, I have linked the one that I use and find to give me excellent results.

Add this extension to your Chrome web browser:
Photobucket Hotlink Fix

Once you get Chrome up and running with the "Photobucket fix", you'll not only be able to see the photos, you'll be able to click on them and save the photos from these threads to your own folder on your computer for future reference!

I've used Flaming River and Borgeson steering shaft parts and u-joints on several street rod projects. I find they have a way to connect pretty much anything to anything (for example an '82 Cadillac Seville steering column to a '74 Mustang II rack and pinion in a '37 Ford).

Back