Widest tires on stock 16" rim-2000 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Widest tires on stock 16" rim-2000 Limited

I have searched the forums for the answer to this question. While other people have asked about 15”, I didn’t see anything about 16” wheels.

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Limited with the stock 16” Limited wheels (like these LIMITED RIMS ). I currently have GoodYear Wrangler RT/S 255-70R16. They ride like stone Flintstone tires. I want to buy some Michelin (LTX or Cross-Terrains) this weekend to soften out the ride. How wide can I go on the stock 16” rims? 275, or bigger?

Thanks

I'm going to say that a 275 tire is going to be pretty either the max or really close to the max. My Michelin Cross-Terrains have a very soft ride. I love them.

I didn't mention it, but the 2000 Limited is at stock height. It has not been lifted, and I don't want to have to lift it.

I am looking for the widest tire that will fit on the stock rims without rubbing anything on the vehicle.

THANKS

I just squeezed 275/70 16 on a 98 sport. I got the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's. Been pretty happy with them so far and really looking forward to some fun in the snow.

Back