• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Washer problem

Raven62

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Exlporer Limited
I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out???

The windshield washers is completely inoperative. I have checked for power at the motor and there is nothing at all. NOW here is my problem... I started checking for blown fuses but all SEEM??? well. There are few empty slots and not sure what goes where. I don't have a legend for the fuse box so I am just shooting in the dark. I have not tore into the stem on the column yet. Wanted to see if I might have a fuse problem first. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you checked to see if the washer nozzles are clogged, and the condition of the washer fluid lines?

If you have a test light or a 12V meter, you can just jab those little openings on top of the fuses. If you got 12V on one side and not the other, it is gone.

Robb

If you determine that it's not the fuse, then the mutlifunction switch is probably the cause.

Originally posted by Jason_25
If you determine that it's not the fuse, then the mutlifunction switch is probably the cause.

Yup, and that damn switch can cause all sorts of problems,

I have one right now... every once in a while when signaling for a turn, the wipers come on.

Originally posted by morrisey0
If you have a test light or a 12V meter, you can just jab those little openings on top of the fuses. If you got 12V on one side and not the other, it is gone.

Robb
a 12V test light is by far the fastest way to look for a bad fuse.

Ford's multi-function switches suck! Every Ford I have owned has had to have it replaced because the washers stop working. You can pop the end off of the stalk and pry the little metal fingers out a bit to get you by a while longer. Eventually the stalk will need to be replaced though.

Originally posted by Robert
Ford's multi-function switches suck! Every Ford I have owned has had to have it replaced because the washers stop working. You can pop the end off of the stalk and pry the little metal fingers out a bit to get you by a while longer. Eventually the stalk will need to be replaced though.
My washer doesn't work on either on my Xs. I just give it a good cleaning when I fill up.

Robb

Test the pump directly with 12V. If the pump works then you need to check that the wiring going into the connector at the pump is ok. Do this before you start digging into the steering column. Nine times out of ten it is a bad connection at the pump that causes it to stop working.

MrShorty... Thanks for the legend. This will help out tremendously!!!!

The nozzles are not plugged at all. The motor is not even running. So that is when I checked power at the pump. As for the fuses "seems Well" means that I have several fuse that have continuity but don't have power on either side of the fuse!!! Don't know if they are suppose to be spares or what!!

Thanks for all that replies. I am hoping it isn't the switch, but it is starting to look as though it might be. Like I said Thanks a bunch for the help.

Greg

Ok, thanks to MrShorty, I have checked the fuses!!! The problem is in the switch. I pryed the end off and got the switch apart. Bent the tabs back out and I can get it to work intermittently. My question now is which of the tabs is the one for the washer motor??? My has four little tabs in the center and a little larger one along the outside of the switch.

This is getting to be fun!!! onetime it works as advertised until I put the switch back in. The next try, I get everything back together and the motor runs all the time. Yeah!!!! I got soaked! :eek:

I hate to do this, because I have not broken any of the tabs off yet!!!! Maybe I need to just buy a new part??? My experience has been, the smaller the part, the more Ford wants for it!!!! If anyone knows how these are to make contact, I would be most appreciative!!!!!

Thanks
Greg

I have seen many multi-switches on eBay over the years. Some are even NOS for real cheap.

Robb

I bought a new stalk on ebay for $15. Fixed my washer problems.

I had the same problem on mine a few years ago. The whole unit is easy to replace...don't follow the Haynes manual, it'll have you removing the steering wheel. These are the same guys that said to test the coolant sending unit you don't have to remove it...step 2 was to place unit in pot of hot water. Anyway, the unit cost me about $45 at NAPA and it's easy to change.

1. disarm airbag (disco battery and wait about 2 mins)
2. take out tilt wheel arm
3. take lower half of column cover off
4. remove 2 torx screws
5. unplug unit and remove

Good Luck

Back