Wiring Harness on a 302 conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring Harness on a 302 conversion

I've hit that spot in the project to start thinking more in depth about wiring harness stuff for the 302.

There are a couple of ptions that I know about.

1) By a complete " No Brainer " wiring harnes from this one outfit. $600 for the complete set-up. Ready to go, no splicing or tracing needed.

2) Or buy a wiring harness from Ford Racing. This Harness is $200 and you need to hook it into the existing harness.

3) There is a book with very detailed instructions & tips available from Ford Racing and is the same instructions I believe that Kaufman uses in the conversion kit. $5.00

I want the book, but am finding it difficult to obtain. I don't know the title or part number of this book. Kaufman will not sell this seperatly either.

My understanding is that there are only 2 wires to tie in to my existing harness. Power and ground. Don't know which two those are yet, or how the Mustang computer hooks up either.

Anyone else have suggestions or tips for this install phase?

Thanks Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rob -

Who makes the "No Brainer" harness?

There is a main harness, an engine harness, and a sensor package for all non-engine sensors.

I havn't bought mine either so hopefully we can help each other out. I talked to Painless Wiring and they said they do not make a harness for our application. They gave me two other possible sources, but I havn't contacted them yet.

The "No Brainer" is made by Windsor-Fox 760 946-3835 $600 for the set-up, you just plug it in. If you send them a HArness to modify it will cost around $400.

I think I'll just do mine myself.

I'll plant the motor first and then get into the wire by wire details.

$600??? That is outrageous! Don't buy that it is a rip off!!

The best thing to do is to get the service manual for the car that you got the engine out of and for your truck. I don't mean a Haynes or Chilton's, I mean the actual Ford service manual. In there are very detailed schematics and info that will make it clear what connections are necessary. If you can't find the books you could always go to your local Ford dealer and photocopy the correct pages, (some dealers may let you borrow them). That is what we did and it worked out great.

Yep, $600 is steep. I'm trying to get the detailed wiring book for $5.00 from Ford Racing at this time. I refuse to pay that kind of money for a harness.

My new truck!

Well it is definately Christmas time. I recieved my company truck today! Seems my new Job description gives me a vehicle. I got on of the extra 96 Explorers. It just happens to be a 2wd 302. Now I have in my driveway a 302 Explorer. Seems to me that the wiring harness in the 96 should be able to be used as a guide for the wiring in my 94? Any thoughts on that?

Also, Ford does sell a book that gives detailed instructions for how to wire in the 302 F.I. to your existing harness. Only $5.00 but ti takes 8 to 10 weeks to recieve it. Anyone have one that I can borrow till mine arrives? It's the same as Kaufmans's instructions acording to the guy I talked to there, However he wouldn't sell me just the booklet.

Happy Holidays

Gofast...i've been where your currently at in the project. Best thing to do right now is go to Dead Link Removed then go to the 5.0 message board. There's a guy there Matt Harwood. He has a swap manual that goes for i think about $40. Highly detailed with all the wirring connections/splices you'll need to make to get the job done and make it purrr. I put a '93 5.0 HO in my 94 ranger(4.0). There's just a handfull of splices you need to make. Basicly it's a matter of powering up the computer. You have the distributiox box under the hood already, that's what makes the job so easy! All the power & grounds were in the same pin location (60 pin computer plug) between my 94 4.0 and the 93 5.0. All i did was cut them out of the 4.0 harness and spliced them into the 5.0 harness. There's a few more that need to be spliced as well but not many. I think i have about 7 or 8 splices. So like i said go to the above address and read what others have posted about his swap manual. Trust me, save yourself the time. I think i may get one just to compare to my job (ok i want to make sure it's right)..Anyways good luck with it. Later...

Back