WPT1533 radio pin removal for 2015 FPIU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WPT1533 radio pin removal for 2015 FPIU

ZippyTheDoggy

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Police Explorer
Interested to know if anyone has some good videos on pin removal for this certain type of connector, the WPT1533, as seen here, I believe this should be the newer version of the WPT1440, was informed that the 1440 is discontinued and the 1533 is its replacement.

I've looked up plenty of videos on pin removal and none of them seem to reference any connector of this style, I've already bought a pin removal kit from Amazon but no luck on trying that out.

This should be the connector that comes out back of the FM radio.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interested to know if anyone has some good videos on pin removal for this certain type of connector, the WPT1533, as seen here, I believe this should be the newer version of the WPT1440, was informed that the 1440 is discontinued and the 1533 is its replacement.

I've looked up plenty of videos on pin removal and none of them seem to reference any connector of this style, I've already bought a pin removal kit from Amazon but no luck on trying that out.

This should be the connector that comes out back of the FM radio.
Normally these require you to first remove the white piece, there should be two small clips in little slots on either side running to near the rear edge. Carefully pull up the white part then push/pull the white piece out the front. From there you should be able to compress the pin retainers, I want to say you do it from the front/white piece side, there should be a big slot with the actual pin and then a much smaller square hole that you stick the tool into to push the pin down. I have a spare at home I can look at later if that doesn't help.

Normally these require you to first remove the white piece, there should be two small clips in little slots on either side running to near the rear edge. Carefully pull up the white part then push/pull the white piece out the front. From there you should be able to compress the pin retainers, I want to say you do it from the front/white piece side, there should be a big slot with the actual pin and then a much smaller square hole that you stick the tool into to push the pin down. I have a spare at home I can look at later if that doesn't help.
Oops I might've forgotten I posted this. Thanks for the response! I've got some pictures of the harness, I don't really see any extra slot (as you'd normally expect) for a pin removal tool to go into. I have the protector piece taken off from the front, though. It's missing a lot of pins so if you or anyone else knows what model of pin that goes into the harness (old WPT1440/new WPT1533), that'd help a lot.

Thank you!

1700507250772.png

image_2023-11-20_130849219.png

For all of the small pins there should be a small slot or square hole, it's sort of an extension of the pin hole usually, above the pin on the outer edge of the connector where the white piece covered originally, you slide the tool into that slot and it pushes down a very small metal lever and then the pin can be pulled out the back.

For what it's worth you probably aren't missing any wires in a PIU unless you want to add/have a audio input jack, the middle of the connector is empty unless you have premium or sony audio or non-sync with audio jack. The Ford dealer should be able to look up the correct pins and sell you extra pins if needed though. I have part #s for some of the audio connectors but not that one specifically.

For all of the small pins there should be a small slot or square hole, it's sort of an extension of the pin hole usually, above the pin on the outer edge of the connector where the white piece covered originally, you slide the tool into that slot and it pushes down a very small metal lever and then the pin can be pulled out the back.
I'll have a go at the pins again. Thanks for the description.

For what it's worth you probably aren't missing any wires in a PIU unless you want to add/have a audio input jack, the middle of the connector is empty unless you have premium or sony audio or non-sync with audio jack. The Ford dealer should be able to look up the correct pins and sell you extra pins if needed though. I have part #s for some of the audio connectors but not that one specifically.
Maybe not missing wires, but I'm trying to add aux. I believe I was missing two wires, and one wire was in a spot on the connector that AllData had listed as having no usage. I think I was planning to move that over to one of the needed spots. I've already stripped an aux wire to wire up but I bought a civilian center console that has its aux, usb, and two cigarette lighters. I was planning on splicing the cigarette lighters from the larger connector for the console and wiring those up directly to a cigarette light connector if I could find one. As for aux and USB I'd love to wire the USB up but I'm not sure how that'll all work out, and I can splice the aux wire from here and wire it to the radio. I doubt that the police explorer has the proper harness for the civilian console and if it did that it would have the proper wiring all setup, but I haven't checked any of that.

I took a look back at the connector; I can find the tab that holds the pin in, but still am having trouble removing them with my pin removal kit. Do you happen to know if there's any good videos about this? Not just installing aux but anything about pin removal for these styles of connectors? I've searched up many videos about pin removal and they never show this style.

I'll have a go at the pins again. Thanks for the description.

Maybe not missing wires, but I'm trying to add aux. I believe I was missing two wires, and one wire was in a spot on the connector that AllData had listed as having no usage. I think I was planning to move that over to one of the needed spots. I've already stripped an aux wire to wire up but I bought a civilian center console that has its aux, usb, and two cigarette lighters. I was planning on splicing the cigarette lighters from the larger connector for the console and wiring those up directly to a cigarette light connector if I could find one. As for aux and USB I'd love to wire the USB up but I'm not sure how that'll all work out, and I can splice the aux wire from here and wire it to the radio. I doubt that the police explorer has the proper harness for the civilian console and if it did that it would have the proper wiring all setup, but I haven't checked any of that.
Cigarette lighters haven't been a 'thing' for quite a while unless you ordered one as an option. ;)
What you have are power points and I believe the retail Explorer has a 12V and a 110V power outlet on the back of the center console.
Perahps you included 1 of the 12V power points inside the console in your total?
1700586047316.png

Peter

Cigarette lighters haven't been a 'thing' for quite a while unless you ordered one as an option. ;)
What you have are power points and I believe the retail Explorer has a 12V and a 110V power outlet on the back of the center console.
Perahps you included 1 of the 12V power points inside the console in your total?
It has been a while but I finally got to checking the console again, it does indeed have two cigarette lighters in it. It's a 2015 taken from a civilian explorer, I've removed the shifter and everything, just figuring out harnesses and the power connections before I install it. It's got a cigarette lighter to the right of its Aux/USB panel, as well as one in the back, inside of the storage compartment, in the front near where the lid latches. There might also be one under its rear AC panel which I'll end up removing, but can't confirm this tonight. I can go ahead and take some pictures tomorrow.

Back