Yet Another 20" rim Thread - '02 & '03 Explorers! need suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet Another 20" rim Thread - '02 & '03 Explorers! need suggestions

Yet Another 20" wheel Thread - '02 & '03 Explorers! need suggestions

Hey guys, first of all, thanks for takin a look at this post. Its my first post on this board and I am seroiusly considering an 02 or 03 Explorer, at least XLT, 4.6 V8, 4WD etc.
Where I live I wont have a need for traditional 'off-road' tires. I want the look of 20's but I need the capability of kicking it in 4WD to get around. Granted, the 20s will probably only be non-winter tires.
Do you think 20s on a 3rd Gen Explorer that ISNT lowered looks silly? I love the way it looks lowered, but I dont think thats a big option for me as I need to be able to swap to my stock tires/wheels for road trips out west and whatnot (Colorado). As I said, I am not huge in to offroading, but I need the stock tire capability for snow because I am an avid skiier and even for 4 wheeling on trails for camping and stuff.
Would 20s with a tire that has a little thicker of a side wall fill up the wheel well to make it fit close to that if it were lowered?
The best picture I can find of an explorer with the rims I love is here:
http://s94685991.onlinehome.us/explorer1.jpg
Those are 20s, with a 2" drop. You think that would look funny without the drop?
Any rim and tire size or brand suggestion would be appreciated. I dont know much about this area.

Thanks again!

P.S. I HAVE searched all over this forum on this topic. I have found a huge amount of helpful info too! These are just a few specific questions I have!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard! :)

I would go with an inch taller tire than stock to have that perception of a lowered look. For me, in my opinion, too much space between the top of the tire and wheel well lip IS silly. Unless of course you need it for off road use which I understand you don't.

Does anyone have any other pictures of 3rd Gen explorers with 20s that arent lowered? I would really like to see some pics to help picture what they look like.

EricM, that is an awesome web page. That explorer looks perfect IMHO!
Thanks for the link!

So those of you with nice wheels on your ride. When do you take them off for the winter? Before the first snow? Or even sooner?

Jellysick said:
So those of you with nice wheels on your ride. When do you take them off for the winter? Before the first snow? Or even sooner?
I don't have nice rims with my Explorer yet but I do have one on my wife's. I normally change to winter tires/rims on the 5th or 6th snow storm because of laziness and about mid summer for the nice rims for the same reason. :shrugs:

Back