Your opinion on what are the "best" shocks? (2000 Mercury Mountaineer) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your opinion on what are the "best" shocks? (2000 Mercury Mountaineer)

Lewa1200

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey guys, just had a couple questions about my 2000 Mercury Mountaineer. edit: AWD

I recently replaced all of the ball joints myself with the exception of the upper passenger (should I change this one? it wasnt as bad as the lowers and the upper driver's side, so i neglected changing it...). Seeing as I have to get an alignment...I thought about saving some money down the road and going ahead to replace all of my shocks (they are all stock) as well.

The suv has 82,000 miles on it. No major sagging, no leaks, the shocks arent too bad. It's just that I anticipate them going bad above 100K miles--just trying to be proactive here. I don't haul big loads of anything (at all--my suv is empty 95% of the time) and will never tow. I dont offroad either. My mounty is basically a commuter I use to get to and from college.

That being said, I wanted to get the best shocks suited to my needs. The suv vibrates uncomfortably at highway speeds over 60mph and I wanted to fix that. Preferably a shock that is not going to foster a terribly hard ride--something that would dampen vibrations a bunch and make for smooth driving. (and I don't expect new shocks to make it drive like a BMW, I just want the smoothest possible SUV experience).

-Autozone told me to get Gabriel Ultras --but after researching, I've found that this is a very hard shock and doesn't last very long.

-Car review sites and Amazon really recommend Rancho RS5000's. These look like they're really high quality stuff, but they're geared toward on/off road capability. I dont want to compromise comfort for the offroad feature I'll never use. **Big plus to buying these: buy 3 get 1 free rebate on amazon.

-Some people on this forum recommend Monroe Sensa-trac's. There's also KYB, Bilstein (these are a little pricey), Gabriel ProGuard. So many dang choices.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Should I even be changing the shocks at 82K miles?

at 80k you may not think they're bad, but 50k is about their life expectancy. a bad shock will not cause sagging. bad springs cause sagging. worn shocks cause ride and control issues. you have a lot of choices for shocks. what you buy depends on how you use your truck and how much money you want to spend. Monroe's are decent, KYB's are better, Bilstien and Rancho better still. if you tow, you may want to consider air shocks or shocks with helper springs. and don't forget the infamous 5th shock/rear axle damper.

i drive mostly around town (lousy roads) some towing a light utility trailer, some highway and i never go off road intentionally. i have KYB's on my RWD '01 5.0 EB with a Monroe axle damper and i'm happy with them.

your highway vibration probably isn't shock related. could be you need to get your tires balanced. as far as a soft ride, keep in mind you're driving a full frame truck with leaf spring rear suspension. the best shock in the world isn't gonna give you the ride of a Lexus or newer SUV with rear IRS.

Puzzled why you didn't change the passenger side bj. if you have the 2-piece design (as most do) on the passenger side it's super easy to change it. changing 3 bj's doesn't make sense.

Back