Easy Trail Ride for Stock trucks or those that don't want to break stuff | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Easy Trail Ride for Stock trucks or those that don't want to break stuff

hunterdan

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fairless Hills, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Chevy Silverado
I was talking to a member here and we both have an interest in getting a run together sometime in the next month or so. But we both don't want to deal with water crossings, sticky mud, deep mud or rocks. Basically just looking to do some trail rides on some old logging or fire roads where you can flex out the suspension, have some fun and not have to worry about breaking anything. We also want to keep it legal, and maybe even turn it into a trail cleaning event. Maybe help give off-roaders a better public image. So if anyone knows of any trails that are legal, easy to ride and possibly need some cleaning post up, maybe we can get a date set and get something going. It's been 3 years since I been out on a trail ride, so I hope we can get something going here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In. I bet Josh and Aaron will be down as well.

How long of a ride are you looking for? I have two ideas in mind (one of which I have permission to access, one of which is a state gamelands access road system), but together they will take only about three hours of riding total. And they're fairly tame.

This is an old video I took (part of me documenting the entire ride). Old logging roads circa 1880s-1920s, then lightly improved with Cats. Seven or so miles, but will take the better part of 1:00-1:30 to travel.

Only concerns for folks who care is that it gets tight with brush at times, so you may get a trail pinstripe or two, and if you go after rain, it's muddy (but you get to see great cascades from the mountain). Oh, and you need to come up to the Pokes to ride 'em.

Those are pretty much the kind of trails I had in mind. Where abouts are they? If anything I can probably talk the fiancé into coming along and making a long weekend out of it.

Dan

At Rausch Creek there is some stock friendly trails.. The ones off the top of my head are the 101, 11, B, C. Contact Lynn at 570 640 0194, she can probably help you if you wanna plan a run and can advise you what trails are more friendly than others.. They've run stock hummers and other groups thru the 101 for those who just want a simple stroll thru the woods.

Those are pretty much the kind of trails I had in mind. Where abouts are they? If anything I can probably talk the fiancé into coming along and making a long weekend out of it.

Dan

Near the ghost town of Ricketts, PA (shows up on most maps, though the town is nothing but a few foundations).

Ben may have a better idea with Rausch, as it's a bit more organized. Also, you can hit that as well as some of Reading Anthracite's land in Coal, PA, in the same day.

Rausch Creek had come up, but I'm still open to any ideas.

Count me in if it's after the holidays...my bro wants to get his Bronco's feet wet too but nothing crazy. Might even have 2 other stockers along for the ride.

Well, when the idea solidifies a little more (or, if you're in that area), let me know. If you want to hit a few places, I'm more than willing to take you and a few others out in my neck of the woods.

It's up in the Wilkes-Barre area correct? I have family in the Weatherly area. The area sounds interesting to me. I really enjoy seeing these kinds of areas, used to love driving through Centralia when I was younger. Always got a kick out of the smoke coming up through the ground. Not sure when I will get a free weekend, but it looks like it could be something me and the fiance could do for a weekend.
Dan

About 40 minutes west of Wilkes-Barre. The other route begins in Noxen and works its way to that general area--which is why the ride takes as long as it does. :thumbsup:

Weatherly, at least in my opinion, is a wonderful little town. I occasionally pass through when I don't feel like taking the turnpike north, and instead exit in Jim Thorpe and work the "back way" to White Haven.

It's been a long while since I was in Centralia. The last time I spent a bit of time driving the old side streets. Only after did I realize how dumb that was--I recall driving over one steel plate bolted to the pavement where there was a subsidence. Nothing like a 2-ton truck to check if the ground was still sturdy! :shifty_ey

Yeah the trip from weatherly to white haven is really nice, especially now that they paved the road. I remember a few years ago when they tar and chipped it and put down about 3" worth of chips. I used to wheel the mountain there off 93, but I think the road has since been blocked off. There are a lot more people buying land and posting it off, which makes it so much harder to wheel, let alone hunt or fish anymore.

Dan

Yeah the trip from weatherly to white haven is really nice, especially now that they paved the road. I remember a few years ago when they tar and chipped it and put down about 3" worth of chips. I used to wheel the mountain there off 93, but I think the road has since been blocked off. There are a lot more people buying land and posting it off, which makes it so much harder to wheel, let alone hunt or fish anymore.

Dan

Well, you're going to be a little disappointed--on the road that travels along the east side of the Lehigh River to White Haven, within the past six months they resurfaced the outer sides of each lane by scraping and laying down tar and chips. :) It blew my mind as I hadn't seen PennDOT do that to a road anywhere in the area in two decades.

Oh man, that is one helluva ride for me. About 150 miles each way. Eeek.

Whatever you guys decide, you might want to decide before the first major snowfall of the season. The dropoffs on that road are too extreme at times to mess with when it's at all icy. Not trying to rush, but the only thing stopping you from rolling down is a tree or a hundred.

I'll be in that area from the 10th to the 19th, so just let me know.

As much as I would like to wheel that area, I think the timing is bad. It's gotten much colder and I don't see it warming up anytime soon. So that means the snow will be flying. I think it would be a great spot for a good spring run in late march or early April. Perhaps even the weekend of the trout season opener.

Dan

As much as I would like to wheel that area, I think the timing is bad. It's gotten much colder and I don't see it warming up anytime soon. So that means the snow will be flying. I think it would be a great spot for a good spring run in late march or early April. Perhaps even the weekend of the trout season opener.

Dan

Ohh a couple feet of snow never hurt anyone...

Have tow straps, will travel! :p:

I'm gonna subscribe to this. I'm out west from you guys, so it may be a bit of a haul for me to get out to wheel, but I may join depending on when it is. Hopefully Ill have at least my TT and AAL/shackles soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

imma watch this but i say just the easier trails through wharton/batsto would be sufficient. this way stockers can be safe but those less carefull like me can veer off a tiny bit and get stuck.

Back