5r55e problem

drmoore71

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
houston, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Z-71 suburban
I have a 2000 XLT 4x4 with the 4.0 SOHC and 5r55e. My question is, once every 20 times or so, from Park to Drive, the transmission doesn't engage. I usually have to shift to Park, press the brake and then back to Drive and it works just fine. I HAVE NO SLIPPAGE ANYWHERE ELSE. I have recently been experimenting with it and found that if I just wiggle the shifter while it is not engaging, it will slip into gear without doing the Park/Brake/Drive procedure. This leads me to believe that this may be a linkage issue, rather than a transmission issue. My question is does the 5r55e have an adjustable linkage? If so, how is it done? When poking around under the hood, I noticed that the insulation on the firewall where the Transmission linkage cable rubs against it is rubbed away, allowing the cable to be efectively shorter than it probably should by .5" or so. Also, in the instrument cluster, the indicator , when the transmission is in drive, sits completely to the left of the "D". Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the inner cable is rubbing against metal on the firewall? I would replace the cable, and adjust it. The adjustment should be near the area where it connects to the transmission. I know that it's there on the A4LD.

Perhaps a little clarification is in order...There is no damage to the linkage cable, it has just rubbed through the firewall insulation pad. As for the adjustment near the transmission connection, could you be a little more specific about the adjustment? Is it a screw type adjustment? How far should I go, 1/4 turn increments, 1/2 turn, full turn? Clockwise, counterclockwise? I am anxiously awaiting your response, since I would love to not have to deal with this issue anymore. Thanks for your response!

doug

It's a slide adjustment with a bolt acting as a set screw. You loosen the bolt, make sure that the indicator is in park, then tighten the bolt. If for some reason the drive indicator is a little off like before, you could always adjust it again to fine tune the proper position.

Is this up at the top, near the shifter in the column or down at the transmission? I hate to keep asking questions, but I have no idea what I am doing here. On the Mustang's C4, maybe but not on this one. Thanks for all your help!

doug

This is the procedure on the 99 x for the cable/bracket adjustment

Cable/Bracket Adjustment

1. Place the gearshift lever in the (D) position and hang a 3.6 kg (8 lb) weight on the gearshift lever.

2. Raise and support the vehicle

3. Disconnect the transmission shift cable from the manual control lever.

4. Pull out the transmission shift cable adjustment lock tab on the shift cable body.

5. Place the manual control lever in the (D) position.

5a. Place the manual control lever in the first gear position. Rotate the manual control lever forward until travel stops.

5b. Move the manual control lever back two detents to the (D) position.

6. Connect the transmission shift cable to the manual control lever.

7. Push in the transmission shift cable adjustment lock tab on the shift cable body.

Lower the vehicle.

8. Remove the 3.6 kg (8 lb) weight.

9. CAUTION:
Do not adjust the transmission shift cable in any position other than (D).

Verify that the vehicle will start in P or N and that backup lamps illuminate in R. If not, repeat Steps 1 through 7 and perform a digital transmission range sensor alignment.

Attachments

• shift_adj.jpg
    shift_adj.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 5,453

Back