RCD shock and mount numbers. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD shock and mount numbers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chad should be rewarded from this thread with an extension of his Elite membership.

Nice job Chad,

nice friggin work, looks great.

Total cost? (approx) still around $750?
How much lift if any did you set it at?

We are getting ready to lift the FJ and I have been looking at Toyota coil overs alot. Some of them for 4x4 applications have a nice extender at the bottom to help clear the CV I wonder if they could be stuffed in the explorer.

Thanks guys for the compliments, but it would not have been possible without this site, and the great members...

I did not get any extra lift out of the mod, because I did not add a bunch of preload. But I could easily get another 1-2". My CV's are completly straight at ride height. The cost was about 750.00 because I got the brackets from RCD, but they could easily be made.

M clearance with the CV's is close and if I could find an extension I would definately add it. It appears that is what RCD did with the Bilstein shocks.

And I am an Elite Explorer, I support this site!!! I just dont have enough space to add a bunch more pics. Unless I am overlooking something:scratch:

So now I will test it out at the Superlift offroad park Sept 28-30!!

Then I am looking forward to the Explorer Forum Moab 2008 Run!!!

And I am an Elite Explorer, I support this site!!! I just dont have enough space to add a bunch more pics. Unless I am overlooking something:scratch:

You should have unlimited space to upload pictures (I have lots of pictures in my gallery, hundreds), they probably need to be resized to a bit smaller. 800x600 is a good size. If you need a resizer utility, look for Windows Power Toys, they make one that is free and fully integrated. Just right click on the picture, choose resize image and pick your size. Works great.

M clearance with the CV's is close and if I could find an extension I would definately add it. It appears that is what RCD did with the Bilstein shocks.

What if the lower mount was made with the ears elevated? Say 1"? Would that help?

Also, what locates the lower mounts? Do they use the stock shock mount holes to locate the bracket, or does the coilover mount right on top of the holes?

cmax: Are you still going to draw these up in CAD? I am going to do the coil swap but I can't really justify spending $200 for brackets when I could make them with $10 of steel. :rolleyes: This way we don't have to worry about RCD not playing nice down the road too :p:

I will draw these up this week. No sure when I will get them done, hopefully by this Saturday. This will make it easy for you guys that have to tools to make these brackets. I just dont have the time or the tools so I opted to purchase them. Any other questions just let me know.

CMAX

Chad,

How is the 700# spring rate? Body roll?? etc......

CMAX

The lower shock mounts use the existing shock mount holes for alignment and mounting. You will drill out the existing shock mount holes to 3/8" and drill 2 more holes if you use the RCD mounts.

Also if the shock mounts were about 1" taller it would be perfect, but then it would need some more gusseting for strength.

The 700# spring is perfect, it is a little stiff now, but after some mileage is put on the springs they will soften up.

Where/how do I upload all my pics? I only know of the garage section and it says 6 pics allowed.

Chad,

Where did you buy the shocks and springs from??

CMAX

Downsouth motorsports on ebay.

Here is his email downsouthmotorsports@gmail.com his name is Sonny and tell him you are doing the same conversion I did and he will revalve the shocks for your application. Shocks were 429 and the springs were 135.

Downsouth motorsports on ebay.

Here is his email downsouthmotorsports@gmail.com his name is Sonny and tell him you are doing the same conversion I did and he will revalve the shocks for your application. Shocks were 429 and the springs were 135.

By any chance do you know what the valving was?

CMAX

Awesome job man, I can't wait to get some cash and get this done myself.

No modification to the LCA's. The mounting bracket is a good size and spreads the load/weight out over a good area. But I will be keeping an eye on it to see if anything changes.

Chad

There is a limit for pictures, both number and total memory used. The non Elite amount is very low, I think Elite's is about 200 pics.

You can browse through all of your attachments and delete any unneeded items.

Chad,

How hard was it to get the torsion bars out of the LCA??

CMAX

Where/how do I upload all my pics? I only know of the garage section and it says 6 pics allowed.

Go to the photo gallery "tab" at the top of the page.

Click Upload Photos, then follow the prompts. There is a max image size 800x600, I think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The torsion bars slide right out of the LCA's once the torsion is removed. When the torsion key is removed the bar just hangs there.

Chad

Back