4.0 OHV vs. SOHC

Yomie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Biloxi, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Toyota
Sorry If this is a repost, I looked, but could not find anything. Yes, I am new to this site, I own a '97 Explorer Sport Control Trac. 4WD, Yada, Yada......5spd 4.0 OHV.\

Now my question is, what is the differences between the 4.0 OHV engines and the 4.0 Sohc engines? I wanna know as far as power ratings, and bolt on equipment(i.e. superchargers) And if there are any pluses to owning one or the other? Just something that has been on my mind, Thank you!

Reggie
Louisville, KY (unfortunately)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the early Explorers equipped with the SOHC?

OHV: 160hp, SOHC: 205-210hp
The SOHC was offered beginning in 1997
The OHV has a lot more bolt-ons available, including the BBK supercharger. As far as I know, there are no blowers available for the SOHC, although some have said BBK was working on one (they might have been confused). The intakes are the same, so the filter kits will both work. There are only aftermarket throttle bodies for the OHV as of yet. I don't know if headers are available, either, but there are multiple brands available for the OHV. Paxton used to make a blower for the OHV, but doesn't anymore. You can also "make" a Vortech blower fit, but many have had problems. Also, I don't know if the aftermarket cams, pushrods, etc will fit the SOHC (they're made for the OHV). The OHV has been around for a while, and is pretty bombproof. Both engines have their pluses and minuses, but If I was planning on building a great 4.0, I'd go with the OHV. The SOHC does start with more power, though, so if you're only doing minor stuff, I'd go with that.

[Edited by Alec on 12-12-2000 at 06:00 PM]

I've had both of them. The SOHC is by far the better engine, much smoother and more powerful. The OHV on my 95 was so slow it was dangerous passing semis on the interstate. Very rough too.

i have an SOHC and i love it. it has more HP than the OHV, which is important to me, and the only things i will be adding are a FIPK and exhaust, maybe a superchip. These parts are availible for both, although the Superchargers are not availible for the SOHC, oh well, dont have that much money anyway

Cool, Cool, thanx for the replies, sux that it has the lesser hp numbers but great that it has more bolt on's available. I just bought it two weeks ago, and i love it!

Future plans for the explorer are on the drawing board, confused as to whether i wanna turn it into a 'mud machine' or a 'street machine'. I am leaning more to the street machine, more 'sportier' look and better handling. I don't think that 160hp is enough to power for me to turn 33's, but i think it'll turn 18"rims alot easier. If you all have any suggestions please lemme know, I would like to see what all the other peeps(all you explorer owners)think!

Thanx

i just found this thread through a search. i was wondering what are the odds that i will have a problem if i purchase a sohc v6 instead of the ohv. does everyone have problems with them, or just a few? thanks guys.

-ken :usa:

97-99 SOHC explorers had some problems with the SOHC. but if you buy one now from 97-99, it's probably been fixed. so there shouldnt be too many problems.

Ford Certified Technician

Just a bit of advice, I work on more sohc motors in explorers than any other engine ford makes. I am a ford tech. If you plan on keeping the vehicle be happy you have a ohv engine, if your leasing then what the heck you can go ahead and get the sohc. They constantly need lower intake manifold gaskets put on and nearly all of them even have a recall campaign out on them because of the frequent failure of the timing chain tensioner and gaskets. Its called 00m12, so if you have one stalling on cold starts and you get bad fuel economy take it to your local dealer and have them run you vin on ford oasis, there is a 99% chance the campaign is available for you truck and you can get it fixed for free.

Originally posted by Yomie
Cool, Cool, thanx for the replies, sux that it has the lesser hp numbers but great that it has more bolt on's available. I just bought it two weeks ago, and i love it!

Future plans for the explorer are on the drawing board, confused as to whether i wanna turn it into a 'mud machine' or a 'street machine'. I am leaning more to the street machine, more 'sportier' look and better handling. I don't think that 160hp is enough to power for me to turn 33's, but i think it'll turn 18"rims alot easier. If you all have any suggestions please lemme know, I would like to see what all the other peeps(all you explorer owners)think!

Thanx

I say go street all the way!

Re: Ford Certified Technician

Originally posted by Msupertek
Just a bit of advice, I work on more sohc motors in explorers than any other engine ford makes. I am a ford tech. If you plan on keeping the vehicle be happy you have a ohv engine, if your leasing then what the heck you can go ahead and get the sohc. They constantly need lower intake manifold gaskets put on and nearly all of them even have a recall campaign out on them because of the frequent failure of the timing chain tensioner and gaskets. Its called 00m12, so if you have one stalling on cold starts and you get bad fuel economy take it to your local dealer and have them run you vin on ford oasis, there is a 99% chance the campaign is available for you truck and you can get it fixed for free.

Thanks for the input.

I just got my '97 w/sohc last weekend and although I'm impressed with the power, your statements tend to worry me....as I drove my '92 until it had 276,000 miles on it and was hoping for the same out of the '97.

So, if the lower intake manifold is leaking will I get a ticking noise while under acceleration and in gear? Cause it's got a very bad tick right now...

thanks alot guys. you've been real helpful.

-ken :usa:

Man this is my old thread from like 2 years ago, talk about bringing the dead alive

Although it doesn't pertain to me as I have the OHV, Is there a perminant fix for the OHC motor's two major problems (intake leak and cam tensioner)?
or do you have to have them fixed from time to time?

..I think I would choose reliability over starting HP.
IMOO it doesn't take too many bolt ons to put the HP up to where the OHC is.

My two cents:
My 97 SOHC's blew at 58K while Ford was diligently "attending to the recalls." It never ran well since the day I got it.
Now with a new rebuilt from Ford I know what what I was missing in power for 58K miles......but it still runs rough!!!

Should I sell it ?......or become Ford certified? because that is the only way I think I can get anyone to make run right.

SOHC has become a four letter word to me.

Sorry, I'm the wrong person to ask about SOHC, especially 97's
Brighter side - nothing stops my 94! Cops with flashing lights and 9MMs maybe, but not much else!!

2001 SOHC

Does anyone kno of any problems with a 2001 SOHC

1999 SOHC 4.1 rear 2WD 40k miles. Love it . Runs better now than new. One faulty spark plug wire and the chain tensioner/lower intake recall done. Feels like a V8 compared to a stock OHV.

Yeah it is an endless thread! but important

FYI My brother in law has a 97 SOHC with 90K and has never had a "cam", "o ring" etc., related problem.
VS
mine, which has been a major problem

Go figure?
Could it have something to do with the production plant?

Also Msupertek says:

They constantly need lower intake manifold gaskets put on

I noticed that the intake manifold bolts were loose when I did the gasket on my 94........would a periodic check and re torquing be good PM related to the problem?

My '97 with the SOHC can run circles around my old '95 with the OHV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yob_yeknom

My '97 with the SOHC can run circles around my old '95 with the OHV.

"As it should"

Back