2006 Explorer Passenger Mirror Repair | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Passenger Mirror Repair

I just replaced the mirror on a 2006 Explorer on the passenger side and I hope I can add a few tips for those who might need to do the same. Hopefully my pictures will download properly.

In this first picture I have outlined in red boxes two snap on covers that have to be removed. There are also two screws in the lower part of the panel (circled in red) that have to be removed.

marked3.jpg

The two covers are snapped into place and need to be gently pried up with a flat screwdriver. I wrapped a cloth around the tip of the screwdriver to prevent scratching. Go easy they will pop off.

In the second photo I have circled in red two screws that have to be removed at the door latch handle after you have removed that cover.

marked1.jpg

In the third photo I have circled in red two more screws that have to be removed after you have removed the cover over the door handle.

marked2.jpg

After the two lower screws in step #1 have been removed along with the 4 screws in steps #2 and #3. You can now lift straight up on the door panel and it will come free. Remember that the electrical wires for the window and door lock controls are still attached along with the door latch cable so don't try to walk away. I used 2 bungee cords to hang the door about 10 inches lower while I removed the mirror.

The fourth and final photo shows the mirror mount area after the piece of foam insulation has been removed. I have circled in red the three nuts that hold the mirror on. One is blocked by the mirror power wire in the picture. Circled in green is the mirror power plug.

marked4.jpg

Just unhook the electrical connection and unscrew the 3 nuts holding the mirror on.

Reverse the process and you are done. Real simple. I purchased an aftermarket mirror for less than $100 dollars that had all new plastic, glass, power motor and even the puddle lamp. It also had two covers one chrome and one gloss black (paintable) because the model Explorer it was mounted on had a painted mirror cover to match the factory paint.

Any questions with a similar model please feel free to ask.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ur pics r not showing up

well written.
photos leave a little to be desired...

Photos lacking

Well I am not a photographer by trade and did not feel like spending my whole afternoon worrying if the photos were just right. What I wanted to do was fix the mirror and move on to the next thing on my list.

Sorry I wasted my time trying to write something up to help somebody else out. I shouldn't be surprised it is typical of people in this world we live in to feel the need to make a negative statement. I don't even own the dam Explorer I have a GMC I guess I will stick to my own website where people appreciate another's effort to help out. I didn't see a paycheck coming my way for taking the time did I? :censored:

S-Moe:

He meant it as a joke when the photographs were showing red x's, and not the actual photos. Since the message was posted, the photos displayed.

Thanks for the how-to.

take back what I said.
Now that I can see the photos they look fantastic.

Thanks for getting my back flounder. That is 100% totally what I meant.

Now I take it back. Didn't mean to lash out. I tested the post twice and the pics were up, then the next day they were not. Just took you the wrong way Monmix. Hopefully the post will help some people out in the future. Have a good day guys.

As someone who just last night tore the passenger side mirror off of my 2006 Explorer Limited, backing into the garage, I find this to be an amazing post to save me the labour costs.

My only problem is locating a replacement mirror. Any suggestions?

Need power mirror w/light and w/heat, 'chrome' accent panel

Please keep in mind, (In case you missed the 'u' in labour, LOL!), that I am in Canada, so I would need a Canadian distributor, or at least someone willing to ship to Canada.

Again, great post!

Ten64

Get me the exact Ford part number for that mirror along with your exchange rate for Canadian to US dollar and I will see what I can do. My mirror was just under 100 US dollars. But it did not have heat. The chrome cover came with my kit along with a paintable cover which is what I used. I would need the Ford part number to be 100% positive that I get the right one. While you are getting the part number ask them how much it would cost to purchase from Ford and how much they charge in labor (or should I say labour). then you can determine which route is the best for you.

To be safe I would use the VIN number as reference for them to search for the mirror. There are quite a few mirror options on these 2006 Explorers.

Just took you the wrong way Monmix. .

no problem what so ever S-moe. Happens to the best of us.

Believe it or not you are not the first person to take me the wrong way. :)

Its cool.

Hi s-moe,

Thanks for your help, and sorry it took me so long to get back to you since you were so quick in replying to my post.

I was able to find a mirror for $100.00 CDN, however it does not have the chrome insert. I should be able to salvage the existing one though.

Any other tips before I do this? LOL!

thanks for the photos!

I have to get into the rear door panel of my 06 EB, and these photos and write up will help me tremendously! Thanks!

Nice write up. The only thing I would add is to have a set of pliers handy so you can spin the pull cable out of the door handle easier in order to get the door panel away from the truck and out of your way.

Old link but came in very useful for replacing my mirror. Thanks for the write up, saved me some time and had a new mirror installed in 10 minutes.

Appreciate your writeup and pics, but I have a different problem. My passenger mirror somehow got folded backwards, towards the front of the car. It goes back into the normal position, and nothing appears to be broken, but the spring tension that holds it in place is now very weak. The spring still has a working range, but it is very weak, like it has been sprung. Any way to adjust or repair this, without replacing the whole mirror?

Appreciate your writeup and pics, but I have a different problem. My passenger mirror somehow got folded backwards, towards the front of the car. It goes back into the normal position, and nothing appears to be broken, but the spring tension that holds it in place is now very weak. The spring still has a working range, but it is very weak, like it has been sprung. Any way to adjust or repair this, without replacing the whole mirror?

No it cant be adjusted or fixed.
Its less about the spring and more about the "stop bumps" ( for lack of better terms ).
Unless you want to get crazy and just cram some glue in the pivot area.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I could tell that Ford didn't design the assembly to be repairable ; you can't even get inside the housing without destroying it. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back