Dear Snow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dear Snow

I hate you.

More specifically, I hate the fact that you can cover holes and make them appear as solid ground. Snow, you owe me. Thanks to you, I spent 30 minutes rolling around on you, only to find out that the bottle jack that Ford supplied was not ideal for the uneven surface which you masked. Your partnership with the ground forced me to waste another 30 minutes of my time while I waited on someone to show up with a floor jack and plywood. In addition to time wasted, I will most likely end up spending hundreds of dollars on new tires because 3 of my current tires are 60% worn and 1 is only 5% worn. This combination doesn't play well with my AWD system. Yes snow, I hate you.

I hate you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dear X6StringerX,
Everybody knows that off-sized tires don't mix well with AWD or 4WD. Shame on you for cheaping out and buying only one new tire or not rotating your spare through normal use.
Love, SNOW.

Sorry man. I had to grind your gears a little. Your post was funny.
P.S. I hate the snow too. I just keep waiting for the call that says my wife totaled the X in the snow. Hang in there, there's more headed your way.

I've only managed to put about 5k miles on the Explorer since I purchased it back in October. There's really nothing I could have done about the spare's wear in such a short amount of time. I was secretly plotting to buy some 31s anyway, but my bank account isn't quite ready yet, lol. I'm anxious to take a look at the spare tomorrow to assess the damage. Fortunately, the wheel seemed to be unharmed. I'm hoping a plug will be suitable for the tire's wound until I can gather enough scratch for some new ATs.

PS - Dear 4-cell Maglite, I apologize for not allowing you to prove your worth. I tried my best to give you this opportunity. You were assigned to truck duty late last year and this was your first chance to prove yourself, yet both your partner and commander failed you.

PPS - Dear Duracell batteries, you were purchased less than two months ago and you only provided 4 minutes of constant light before failing. You should be ashamed. Because of you, I had to use a manual charging LED light from the claw machine. Yes, it cost more than the Maglite, but let's not bring my claw machine skill level into this.

Dear X6StringerX,

I am largely useless on most surfaces. Especially for a lifted truck. I am unstable, tip easy, and not very reliable - I realize this. You should keep some wood in your truck to place me on to help out so you don't have to rely on someone else, but that is neither here nor there. My point is that I understand my shortcomings, but calling me out in public on your message board is low class. One day soon, you will need me again, and I will do my job until your foot or hand is in a bad place, then I will tip over and drop your truck on you. Keep that in the back of your mind when you want to badmouth me again on the internet.

Kisses,

Your bottle jack.

Dear X6StringerX,

I concur with Mr. Bottle jack. I will also fail you when you need me the most. I will be misplaced, easily forgotten, and in a fit of rage, I will break off inside your cable pulley winch, leaving you to deal with one of my friends...Mr. Bolt cutter, or Mr. Hacksaw.

Smooches,
Your Jack handle.

Dear Bottle Jack,

Your shortcomings have been acknowledged for good reason. I'm burning this bridge. Your dismissal is effective immediately. Your replacement will be of the 3-ton floor jack variety.

On another note, hey Jason and Gregg, did you guys use hub ring adapters with your steelies or are you just relying on your studs to take the weight?

Dear X6StringerX,
Thank you for the recent dismissal of some of the toolboxes most unsavory characters. The civil union of Maglite and Batteries always unsettled me and Jack Handle constantly poked holes in Mobil1 and Antifreeze, who by the way have leaked all over and intend to make our next encounter much more difficult. I just felt the need to inform you of the plotting, sabotage, and pending mutiny afoot here in "The Box".

Hugs and hugs,
Towrope.
P.S. Due to inactivity and fluid saturation I may snap at the very end of a pullout on a stormy night leaving you to slide helplessly back into a ditch. However, much colder because I will likely take out the back window when I go.
Snuggle up.

i think i may have just woke my napping son up from laughing. thanks, guys... and keep this stuff coming!

My steelies fit perfectly. No need for spacers. :):thumbsup:

Now the new wheels I just got is another story. I need spacers desperately.
I cant go over 45 mph without shaking the rig to pieces. I need to find a set that will fill a 1/2" gap! Custom metal (they rust, wear) are over $100 :( :thumbdwn:

Polycarbonate are what I am wanting.

On another note, hey Jason and Gregg, did you guys use hub ring adapters with your steelies or are you just relying on your studs to take the weight?

Dear X6StringerX

it is currently 80 degrees in Cali and the only Snow around here is in the Mountains :p:

Dear X6StringerX,

Please find a buddy who can do a single tire burnout. I love to smoke. I love to see how far I can spit hot rubber. I have started to make friends with the 60% group, even though I am the troublemaker. No reason to get rid of all of us, just because of the problems I have caused.

Love, your 5% worn tire.

No spacers on my steelies either.

Dear Lugnuts,

All but one of you have shown disdain for the spare wheel. Is steel not good enough for you? Did you like the aluminum that much? It wasn't until I felt tapping below my foot earlier this evening that I realized you did not intend to play well. You are a worthy adversary. Luckily for me, I caught on to your antics before they proved to be detrimental. I still don't quite understand how you did what you did. I thought 110 ft. lbs. would suffice. With that being said, you may sleep easy tonight as I will be swapping out the steel for aluminum again tomorrow.

There are some good replies in here guys and I have to admit that I'm not that bummed about the tire. As some of you know, my fiance and I just won a contest for a $10k wedding package on Friday, so that was the first thing I told myself last night when I blew the tire.

Dave, this is a no California weather report zone. Please refrain from making comments that involve 80 degree weather during the months beginning in October through those ending in March.

Kent, you're a genius! That idea is crazy enough to work.

Jason and Gregg, what specific wheels do you guys have? I ordered some 15"x8" Pro Comp Rock Crawler 98s (Soft 8 copies) with a 3.75" BS a couple of months ago, but the centerbore diameter was way too big at 3.3". I probably had at least a 1/4" gap, so I decided to get a refund and try to find some that wouldn't require adapters. I haven't had any luck yet.

Mine are Cragar soft 8's. 15x8, and I think BS was 3.75 as well. Can't swear to it.

American Racing wheels 767 series. 5 on4.5, 3.75" Back spacing, -12mm offset

Pic when I first got them with 31'x10.5" BF T/A ko
newvalenceandwheel2.jpg

And a pic with the 33"x12.5" BF KM2
95passengersideafterliftsprings.jpg

Mine are Cragar soft 8's. 15x8, and I think BS was 3.75 as well. Can't swear to it.

I almost want to say that the Soft 8's only come with a 4" BS in the 15x8 size, but 1/4" isn't going to make a huge difference either way. With that being said, I'd take either BS as long as the centerbore diameter was correct. I hate the idea of the studs taking all of the weight.

American Racing wheels 767 series. 5 on4.5, 3.75" Back spacing, -12mm offset

What's the centerbore on those wheels? I had AR Bajas on the green 98 and if I remember correctly, they fit perfectly without spacers. As I mentioned above, I'm really trying to get wheels with the correct centerbore, but 99% of wheels seem to be made for Jeeps with the 3.3" bore. I was hoping to find some black steelies, preferably the Pro Comp 58/Crager Soft 8 style like Jason's because I like the round holes a little better than the D holes, but I'm keeping my options open.

Dave, this is a no California weather report zone. Please refrain from making comments that involve 80 degree weather during the months beginning in October through those ending in March.
i would very much agree, i got 2 and a half feet on the ground with much more on the way, on a better note, this is freakin hilarious, keep em coming

why are the 797's so much more than the soft 8's? more than double the cost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dear Super Sport Radial APs,

It was fun while it lasted, but I just don't feel like we connect on that special level. I know this will be hard on you, but I'm sure someone else will gladly welcome you into their lives as you are still full of life. I know it was just earlier today that you introduced me to your friend, Uniroyal Laredo, but I'm afraid there is no longer room here for any of you. Please pass along this message. Keep your tread up (or maybe down depending on how you look at it).

Sincerely,

Aluminum Wheels

Back