How To: Remove/Replace 3rd Gen Door Panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Remove/Replace 3rd Gen Door Panel

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Escape SE
I have not found a thread for specifically removing the door panels. When someone asks, I usually point them to a thread that involves removing the door panel but is not specifically for removing the door panel. Hopefully this will eliminate any confusion.

Be Sure To Check Out My Other Write-Ups:

How To: Replace Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex

How To: Install Signal Mirrors On 3rd Gen Ex

How To: Restore Faded, Yellowing Headlights

How To: Replace Multifunction Switch in 3rd Gen Ex

How To: Paint Rear Pillar Trim

How To: Replace 3rd Gen Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

How To: Test a Relay

How To: Remove/Replace 3rd Gen Center Console

Tools Required:

7/32" Socket
Butter Knife, Putty Knife, or Trim Removal Tool

ToolsRequired.jpg

1. Remove Door Panel

1.a. Remove Both Bottom Screws - 7/32" Socket Required

1aRemoveBothBottomScrews.jpg

1.b. Remove Interior Door Handle Cover - Use butter knife, putty knife, or trim removal tool to pry up front of cover then remove

1bRemoveInteriorDoorHandleCover.jpg

1.c. Remove Window/Lock Switch Assembly - Lift up at point indicated by red arrow

1cRemoveWindow_LockSwitch.jpg

1.d. DRIVER'S SIDE - Remove Electrical Connectors - Press in tabs indicated by red arrows. I used the small slotted screwdriver to remove the green connector because I couldn't access the tab with my thumb

1caDRIVERONLY-RemoveConnectors.jpg

1.d. PASSENGER'S SIDE - Remove Electrical Connectors - Press in tabs indicated by red arrows.

1cbPASSONLY-RemoveConnectors.jpg

1.e. Remove Arm Rest Screw - 7/32" Socket Required

1dRemoveArmrestScrew.jpg

1.f. Lift Door Panel Up And Towards You
No Picture. I couldn't remove door panel and take a picture at the same time

1.g. DRIVER’S SIDE ONLY - Disconnect Electric Mirror Adjustment Switch

6cReconnectMirrorSwitch.jpg

6. Replace Door Panel

2.a. DRIVER’S SIDE ONLY - Reconnect Electric Mirror Adjustment Switch - Snap connector back into mirror switch

6cReconnectMirrorSwitch.jpg

2.b. Replace Door Panel on Door – Line Up Mounting Pieces to Holes in Door & Slide Down Into Place
No Picture. I couldn't replace door panel and take a picture at the same time

2.c. Replace Arm Rest Screw - 7/32" Socket Required

6eReplaceArmrestScrew.jpg

2.d. PASSENGER'S SIDE - Reconnect Window/Lock Switch Connectors - Snap connectors into switches

6fPASSONLY-ReconnectWindow_LockSwitchAssembly.jpg

2.d. DRIVER'S SIDE - Reconnect Window/Lock Switch Connectors - Snap connectors into switches

6faDRIVERONLY-ReconnectWindow_LockSwitchAssembly.jpg

2.e. Replace Window/Lock Switch Assembly - Place back side in first and gently push down

6gReplaceWindow_LockSwitch.jpg

2.f. Replace Interior Door Handle Cover - Set back side in first and gently snap cover into place

6hReplaceInteriorDoorHandleCover.jpg

2.g. Replace Both Bottom Screws - 7/32" Socket Required

6iReplaceBothBottomScrews.jpg

You are done!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well done! :thumbsup:

I was just thinking that as I typed the description for the GII last night.

BTW- I fixed your last step with a tallboy... :D

6iReplaceBothBottomScrews.jpg

It's like it was made for a can of PBR!! :chug:

I read your description for the 2nd Gen. Gonna need that when I install the keypad. Couldn't find a write up for that. Looks like I know what my next one will be.

I was just thinking that... I was going to do one, but you have to put the keypad in too... :thumbsup:

Might as well do it since I'm going to be knee deep in it.

testh.gif

Does the pattern of the silverware (knife) matter, or can I use sterling, silver plate, or stainless steel flatware?:D

Does the pattern of the silverware (knife) matter, or can I use sterling, silver plate, or stainless steel flatware?:D

I guess whatever you have handy. I wouldn't risk loosing the silver though. :p:

Great write up Rondo! :thumbsup: One of those simple, yet confusing things.
I found that my arm rest bolt was a different size than the rest. The two on the lower door were 8mm and the arm rest was a 6mm.

EasyRhino; you can always make a trip to Harbor Frieght Tools and get a set of cheap panel pullers.

Great write up Rondo! :thumbsup: One of those simple, yet confusing things.
I found that my arm rest bolt was a different size than the rest. The two on the lower door were 8mm and the arm rest was a 6mm.

; you can always make a trip to Harbor Frieght Tools and get a set of cheap panel pullers.

Thanks Nate. This question gets asked a lot so I figured we needed this.

I think EasyRhino was just having some fun with me about my "tools" aka butter knife!

My wife would kick my butt if I used her flatware! :p:

But I have considered buying one of those trim removal tools thingees.

A very apt and well done post, as these door panel removals are kind of anti-intuitive. A sticky perhaps? I have seen repeated posts over the years asking how to do this.

My flatware, my rules. :p:

I thought the same thing about the question being asked all the time so I did the write-up. I'm going to be changing the keypad on my nephew's '98 soon and will do a write-up for the 2nd Gen door panel as well since one doesn't exist.

Door panel Removal

I have found that a flat pry bar with the nail slot works good. Commonly called a "Wonder Bar". Otherwise the nylon push fastener pulls out of the slot/hole in the door panel.

When I worked as a dealership tech the lube guy took a window track job because I was busy. He didn't see the screws hidden by the carpet on the door panel. He forced the door panel off with a BIG pry bar. OUCH! He then asked me how to get the track out and I remarked "WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE DOOR PANEL!" LOL. The shop had to buy a new door panel.

Last edited:

I have found that a flat pry bar with the nail slot works good. Commonly called a "Wonder Bar". Otherwise the nylon push fastener pulls out of the slot/hole in the door panel.

When I worked as a dealership tech the lube guy took a window track job because I was busy. He didn't see the screws hidden by the carpet on the door panel. He forced the door panel off with a BIG pry bar. OUCH! He then asked me how to get the track out and I remarked "WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE DOOR PANEL!" LOL. The shop had to buy a new door panel.

Welcome aboard! :salute:

The 3rd Gen doesn't have any "Christmas tree fasteners" on the door panels.

OH, OK, so what does it use? I have to work on the one I'm getting on Wednesday and like to know so I don't break something. Thanks.

OH, OK, so what does it use? I have to work on the one I'm getting on Wednesday and like to know so I don't break something. Thanks.

Start at the top of this thread. This is the how to on removing/replacing the 3rd gen door panel.

Finally I was able to purchase and install the Mirror switch. Much THANKS to BIG RONDO for posting the link to the info about the removal of the door panel. Only one thing I would add or clarify to the info. I am old school and used to the type of panel connectors that pushed into holes in the door frame. When the author stated "pull up on the door panel" my mind converted pull up to pull out I guess and I tried and tried to gently pry out on the panel to pop loose what I assumed were the push in connectors with no luck obiviously. My bad for not understanding up means up and does not mean pry out but to clarify this for anyone else "up means up." The door panel has downwarrd facing L shaped hook fasteners that slide down into slots in the door frame so don't attempt to pry outward, just lift the panel straight up toward the top of the door frame, out of the slots and window frame. It is actually much easier than the old push in type fasteners that used to be the norm. Other than that the info in here is spot on every step of the way.
BTW the engineer that designed the way that the switch for the door lock installs in the panel with the window controls must have never removed or installed an electrical connector in his life or he wouldn't have placed the locking tab between the switch and the connector tab that holds the panel in the arm rest. It is extremely hard to release the lock on that conector but with patience it will release just take your time and remember it is plastic do not force it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nicely done. :D

This panel is so much easier to get off then other vehicles I've had.

The switch for the door locks is a PITA!!! I remove the mirror switch from the door panel before removing the connector.

Back