How to: Turning stock corners to clear corners | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Turning stock corners to clear corners

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
Ok I have to credit snowbum for this idea. I did it slightly different than he did. This writeup will explain how to extract the amber reflector from your stock parking lamps. This does not involve putting your parking lamps into the oven and cooking at 300 degrees until tender.

You might be wondering why I just don't by a set of clears for $30. Well, aftermarket clears are horrible. They are made of poor quality plastic, and they turn yellow very quickly. This looks really bad, and it sticks out. Like someone took a piss in your corners.

I will say that I'm not going to be responsible for any ruined parking lamps. This can be tricky at times, so you must WORK WITH CARE!

1. The easiest way that I thought of was to cut a slit on the back of the parking lamp, so that I could slide it out of the side. You do not have to cut out a big hole, just a small slit that is big enough to slide the reflector out.

Cuts:
7134clears1.jpg

7134clears3.jpg

2. Once you have your cuts made, CAREFULLY remove the portion of the plastic that you cut. Don't break this because you have to reuse it!

Once you remove that piece of plastic, the reflector is in plain view.

7134clears2.jpg

3. Here's where it gets a little tricky. The only part of the refector that is exposed is the end, which makes things difficult. Take a small, flathead screwdriver and begin to work your way in, carefully moving the screwdriver up and down to release the reflector from the housing. If necessary, take some needle nose pliers and break off pieces in order to get the screwdriver in. After you break the reflector from the housing, you should be able to pull it out in a large piece. That should leave you with this:

7134clears4.jpg

Don't be surprised if you find some little scratches behind the reflector. Mine weren't bad, but every truck is different, so again DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

4. Now that the reflector is out, you need to replace the piece of plastic that you cut out earlier and reattach it. You may find that the shiny surface of the plastic still has some amber reflector pieces on it. Try to get those off, and if you can't, paint over them with silver model paint.

Once that is painted, put the plastic back into place and seal around it with clear silicon. Make sure this is sealed tight so that no water or condensation can get in.

7134clears6.jpg

So now you're left with this:
7134clears7.jpg

Not only do you have an all clear lense, but you since the reflector is no longer there, you have sort of a clear euro look on the sides.
7134clears8.jpg

The cuts you make will not be invisible by any means. If someone looks for it, they'll be able to find it. But it's not visible at all from far away, and since the cut is only a slit, it's not too bad.
7134clears9.jpg

It's not a perfection mod, but IMO it looks a lot better than aftermarket clears that turn yellow in 3 months.

:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that looks awesome.

however, not all aftermarket ones yellow. mine have stayed clear for two and a half years.

i will try to do this with my stock corners though just to see how it works and them maybe sell them. anyone want them?

Ha.. this would actually be an awesome deal since your corners would be just as faded and fudged up as your headlights. :D Nice job Hartman.

My clear corners lasted 11 months... then I went back to my stockers.. :rolleyes: But you get what you pay for.

thats freakin cool.

After I finish with touching up my wing, installing my HC airdam, EE sway bar, smooth out the front bumper, plan out how to make a roll pan, ...this will be next summer's project #54. :D

Oh yea, great write up, Hartman!
thumbsup.gif

I would love to do it for you but if I messed up your stuff I would be screwed.

awesome trick bro. now im kicking myself in the arse for throwing the stockers away. my "store bought" clears are a perfect urine color now. mmmm........ might try to buy some stockers off ebay......

i have an extra set to mess with- i will make them for someone if they want me to. (reposting because i think someone missed up above)

hmmm...does it work for 1st gen too? i already have clars but i know alot of people who would do it if they knew it would work.

Son of a b*#@!. I just put my clears on today. IT looks bad cause my headlights are so mucky. now i need to buy new headlights. Are these also available on ebay for a good price?

This is a Sweet Idea. I Just bought my explorer and those ulgy yellow corners have been Buggin me out. Now i got a solution. Thanks

This won't work for a 1st gen. If your headlights are yellow, wetsand the lenses with 2000 grit sandpaper, and follow that up with a good rubbing compound. That'll clean em right up.

Originally posted by expo5.0
i have an extra set to mess with- i will make them for someone if they want me to. (reposting because i think someone missed up above)
but i wanna make my own. :D just sell me your stockers...

That's right. It's no fun if somebody else makes it for you. :)

how much sir james? what do they go for normally?

Originally posted by expo5.0
how much sir james? what do they go for normally?
hell, i dunno. i never really checked before. i just called around and one of our local yards has two 95-ups, so im going out there this afternoon and see if i can piece together a set. the qouted me $30 for the pair if i can find some that are good.

mine are in great shape-

i'm asking 50 plus shipping after checking ebay a little. or i'll do the mod and i'll want 80. sorry to steal the thread.

edit- james i know you don't want me to do them for you- so don't think thats what that meant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that and if one of them has a green leather interior i'll give you all the corners i can find.

Back