• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Home Improvement

Working on a project around the house, condo, or apartment? Questions about a home improvment project? This is the place!
Computers are everywhere these days. You could find them in many forms such as a calculator, automobile controller, TiVo, desk, laptop, Palm, oven, etc. The purpose of this article is to show you how to replace the computer board in a home oven. Not every oven is built exactly the same, so the computer board in your oven is going to vary from the one outlined here. There are two side trim pieces holding the control panel with two screws each: Some ovens have Torx screws such as this...
Introduction: Most modern ovens which are built today use a bar which glows to ignite gas for cooking. It is synonymous to a glow plug in a diesel engine. The top burners use a spark ignition which is synonymous to a spark plug in an internal combustion engine. Now, to explain the theory behind the glow bar, there are two designs: flat & round. The bar is wired in a series circuit with the gas valve. When the bar glows, it will continue to allow more current & voltage to pass into the...
With the rising cost of electricity, it's a good idea to keep lights off when they are not in use. Some places such as attics, closets, basements, hallways, etc could run all day because somebody forgot to turn them off. Installing a simple timer will ensure that the lights can't run more than a certain period of time. The timer that is used here has a 60 minute limit: It's a basic two wire series device which is also known as a single pole, single throw or SPST. An internal spring sets the...
There are many different types of keyless entry locks on the market. The one being installed has five buttons in a vertical row, and has a 2-3/8" backset on the deadbolt latch. Here is a picture of what comes in the box: This is the back of the lock with two shafts protruding out: The upper shaft engages a cam mechanism to change the combination from the inside of the door after the code is entered. This is only used to change the combination. The lower one is the shaft which opens the...
HVAC (Heating Ventilating Air Conditioning) is generally viewed as something which is out of the reach of the everyday do it yourself handyman. Disclosure: Certain states require certification before working on such systems because the average untrained person might let freon escape into the atmosphere. With this in mind, I take no responsibility for what the reader does while repairing an A/C or refrigeration system. Old freon has to be extracted from a non functioning system, stored in a...
Compressors on most 120 volt refrigerators, and air conditioners require a part called an overload relay in order to start. Think of it as a comparison to a starter on an old fluorescent light fixture. This part will click, then enable the circuit. The parts that are factory installed on most modern day refrigerators are not as durable as the older mechanical relays of older models once used. Symptom: You hear a loud clicking noise coming from your refrigerator about 2 or 3 times a...
My bathroom is very small. It started out as a closet under a staircase. It was very difficult to find a sink which would fit in this confined area. A lot of these super small sinks are made for specialty faucets which could only be mounted in single hose sinks. The sinks, and faucets are also very costly, and not readily available. This sink is 15" wide, and 12" from its front to the back. Although I did see slightly smaller models, it wasn't worth the cost for the extra inch of space. This...
Welcome to the Home Improvement Forum!! This is where all you Tim Allen wannabee's can ask questions and give advice on home improvment. This forum follows all of the guidelines in the forum rules section. In addition to the site rules: 1- Please use the Search function before you ask a question, if you still can't find the answer you needed then post away. This will help keep down on the clutter and make my job easier. 2- When you have a question, please be as specific as possible...
I have been looking at property in Northern Arizona lately and it got me thinking if I do go for it, I should design my own building. I have been messing around with a old drafting program (Visio) designing my ultimate man cave / shop / house. It will all fit inside a 60x80 building. I have two versions so far. I really like what I came up with for the master suite. The walls dividing the sleeping area from the changing/bathing/pooping area would not go all the way to the ceiling to...
I have owned a pool table for about 6 years now and have never had it set up in my own place. I got it when I was living in a 1 bd apt, but couldn't pass up the deal (from my step sister and her husband), so it went in the garage for a couple of years. Then my friend asked if he could use it until I had a place to put it, so of course I said, yes. It had been at his house for the last 4 years until today. New felt and new bumpers so it feels like a brand new table. Cost almost as much as...
I have limited electrical knowledge and I’m trying to help get info for a friend. She has a stacked washer dryer unit that she wants to replace her old separate washer and dryer with. The existing dryer plug is three prong 220. The stackable has four prong. How can we tell if it would be as simple as switching the plug receptacle box to four prong? Or would need to have new wire run from the panel? Somebody told me it depends if the old wiring is single phase or three phase? Here’s the new...
The wife and I need a new shower head for the master bath. Not looking to spend a fortune, but we want something nice that'll last. Requirements: -Must have a hand-held... whether it's a 'hanging' hand-held or a head with a diverter and separate hand-held, it doesn't matter... just has to have a hand-held. -Most have a relatively coarse spray available. We both tend to like a coarse spray pattern. I can't remember the last time either of us changed to a massager setting or the slow...
Edited below First, I have to say I do not work for this company in any way, but I have just recieved some great customer sevice, for the second time, From Eemax, inc. This household water heater is the shiznit, I can't begin to express my satisfaction. For those who aren't familiar, this kind of water heater has no tank, and heats water on demand instantly. It's size will fool you, 12" x12" x3" deep. Since it heats only the water as you use it, and doesn't store (maintain) hot water, the...
Our current 50 gal gas water heater is about 10 years old, we know it's days are getting numbered. Hot water doesn't last as long as it use to, and it seems to take a long time for it to catch back up after the dishwasher or washing machine. Water still comes out piping hot in the morning though. So we're starting to think about it's replacement and going to a gas tankless water heater. Our home is a 2 1/2 bath home, and the water heater resides in the garage in a closet. the gas line...
It seems that with each passing year my wife's tolerance of cold decreases and the winter thermostat setting increases. This year it is set to 76 degrees. Before purchasing our home in Greenville 14 years ago we had it inspected prior to closing. The insulation was determined to be typical for a house built in 1997. There was supposedly 8 inches of blown-in fiberglass insulation in the attic. Not long after moving in I inspected the attic and was surprised to find 4'x8'x1/2" sheets of...
Back in 2007 when I bought this house the pool in the back yard was partially filled in with dirt. The concrete had cracks and wouldn't hold water. I had to finish filling it in to close on the house. I regretted having to do it cause of the additional work it created to remove the pool later. 30 yards of concrete has been hauled off so far. As you can see in the pictures the house still needs a lot of work. I don't have a friend in the world when it comes to home improvement.
I like milkshakes! In the late 1940's early 1950's my grandfather drove a truck by day and ran Smitty's tavern in Talmage, Nebraska at night. Between the 2 jobs he brought in 125- 130 dollars per month which made the 25.00 per month refrigerator payment easier to swallow. In those days refrigerators cost more than rent. Part of Smitty's tavern was this milkshake mixer made by Gilchrist. Going out on a limb Smitty sold more beer than milkshakes with his burgers. It was used until...
Everybody in the repair business has stories about things which were odd, funny, obvious to the repairman but not to the customer, etc. Share your stories here. They could be things which happened on a job or in your own home. I'll start with a few. I went to somebody's house today to repair an old, heavy, built in microwave oven which is above the oven, and built into a kitchen cabinet. This was built when things were made out of metal with a minimal amount of plastic. Some of the buttons...
Garage So 90% of my garage roof is insulated with blown in insulation and dry walled as it has a bedroom above, however the last little bit is bare wood with a piece of plastic damp seal stuck to the rafters. I was planning on finishing the drywall to tidy it up but I’m not sure what I would need for insulation. My options as I see it are; -Drywall panels screwed to the rafters over the plastic damp seal with no insulation -As above but add a baton insulation between the rafters the same as...
For decades my wife and I always started the dishwasher just before going to bed at night. But on the evening of July 9, 2014 the float valve on our General Electric dishwasher stuck open. The next morning my wife found the kitchen flooded and eventually all our downstairs hardwood floors had to be replaced: Running dishwasher at bedtime Since then we have started our dishwasher at 7:30 pm so the wash cycle will be complete before we go to bed. On Dec. 26, 2018 I noticed a puddle forming on...
I never found an architect willing to draw up a set of plans for my Sunspace & storm shelter for less than $1,000 and my wife decided she didn't want me to build it myself anyway - she knows how long my projects can take. So I'm going to establish a backyard garden. My first task was to remove the water from the fish pond. I tried to siphon out the water with a garden hose but there were a lot of nuts from nearby trees that had fallen into the pond and they kept clogging the hose. I...
Gentlemen, Opinions or suggestions wanted please. This large smoker was built for my Dad back in the mid 1950 when he was a shipyard maintenance and repair foreman for Lykes Brothers Steamship. It actually a modified auxiliary from a cargo ship made of 3\8" plate steel and weighs about 1,000 Lbs. It has been in the family forever and got its last refit and new bottom back in the mid 90's. The amount of food and use this pit has seen are unbelievable! She is in desperate need of a...
Now the inside is pretty much livable for now it is time to turn to curb appeal. Attached is the pictures of what is there now. Basically it is 3 rose bushes and some green weeds that are starting to yellow. There is an existing sprinkler system as well. It covers maybe 60% of the yard at best so it needs some work as well. Just to give you an idea the fireplace is about 70' from the street so there is a lot of space that needs to be filled in. I can easily fit my full size truck with...