36's or 38's on IFS? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

36's or 38's on IFS?

First my disclamer to all you ball busters *cough doug cought* : I have no intention whatsoever of doing what I am about to say.. its just a thought that popped in my mind today...

I currently have 2" BL 2" TT and perry's fenders and im running 35's quite easily..

My question: say i were to buy the 4" superlift and then do SOA in the rear with my current set-up, i know for a fact i could clear 36's and pretty sure i could fit 38's.. but is that feasable with the D35 IFS?

And why this popped into my head: i have no possible means (money/time/or tools) to fab up a SAS, however i am capable of doing the superlift.

But i also dont have the money... it adds up:
Super Lift and SOA ~ $1500
38's ~ 1000
Regearing ~ 500 (id assume 4.56 or 36's and higher for 38's)
And then replacing tranny on occasion ~ priceless :D

So what you guys think: is that a feasable goal for someone who has the money but not able to customize a SAS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

38's arent way too big. look at madmikes rigs, he has two awesome x's on 38's.

thats your opinion, not fact ;) .

and guys read the whole thread- im not doing this or an SAS. i just wanted to know the facts on if the front end could handle that. Obviously the answer is no.

i have my ifs on 35's and its handling it quite nicely.. though my engine exploded on saturday but thats a different story :confused:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

97xplorerboy said:
38's are way to big!!!

Too BIG?? That's like saying you can have Too Much Fun! It ain't possible :D

--Ryan

you guys are close minded.... our weakest point is the stock t-case and steering gear.

on the second gen explorers you can a run a tacoma steering stabilizer setup for rack and pinions made by fabtech. that eases the steering load. then upgrade to Moog upper and lower ball joints. possibly swap on a f150 rack and pinion with explorer outer TRE's.

but with 38's you are gonna get to the point where the t-case slips b4 you ever have a chance to shear a CV, and even with a 1354 you most likely wouldnt break a CV cause of the lack of power our motor puts out compared to the size of tire.

I think with most wheeling you can run whatever size tire you want on IFS and have it hold up. You just cant expect to not have to upgrade components. That would be like saying that a factory d44 could handle a 37 and never break. Its gonna break if you dont upgrade a few parts like u-joints, yoke and possible wheel bearings and hubs.

38's are way to big!!!

I think people are interpreting this statement two different ways.

Too big for an Explorer in general? No, 37s/38s would be a great size to run.

Too big for the Explorer stock components? Yes, t-case, ujoints, outers, steering, etc won't hold up to that much rotational weight if wheeled hard.

38 might be to big.
but damm they sure do look good. :D
but thats my opinion.

532746_36_full.jpg

532746_35_full.jpg

Fury- no fair, you are not IFS. ;) The question is "are 38's too big for our IFS?" Of course 38's are not too big for an Explorer. They are however too big for the stock steering/IFS setup. As far as upgrading goes, there is only one upgrade to run 38's on an Explorer. You cut the IFS off, throw it in the trash, and swap in a solid axle and a real steering box. There are no upgrades to make the IFS beefy short of cutting it off and building a new setup from scratch. A Fabtech steering stabilizer is not gonna ease the stress on the steering rack.... all its gonna do is dampen the tendency for the tires to "push" on the steering making the truck wander on the road. Even if you could throw the rack away and run something stronger, you're not gonna wheel with the stock IFS. Guys are regularly breaking the IFS stuff on trails with 35's.

sk1er17 said:
38's arent way too big. look at madmikes rigs, he has two awesome x's on 38's.
Madmike's rigs are not what we are talking about. One of his is TTB and the other has a solid axle. We are talking about 38's on an IFS Explorer.

38's will kill an Explorer IFS
:)

They do go offroad.. they are build for snow/tundra driving. I found the pic section of that site, but I dont speak Norwegion(sp?). Thats what they speak in IceLand right?

The 3rd one has a Chevy front end.

and swap in a solid axle and a real steering box

Hey james t, when you say put in a real box what do you recomend?? I got the stock one and the bottom seal is leaking, should I replace the seal or get this "real box".

real trucks are built not bought!

hunter, i meant that any steering box would be better than the stock steering rack. Basically, you'd use whatever box would fit. I think a few guys here have used Scout boxes or F150's.

Thanks

From what I have found all these use the same box.

Ford Power Steering Gearbox. It fits the following models:

1. 1980 - 1996 Ford F-series Trucks, F100-F350 All Models
2. 1988 - 1997 Ford Super Duty F450
3. 1980 - 1997 Ford Bronco and Bronco II
4. 1983 - 1997 Ford Ranger (2WD and 4WD)
5. 1982/3* - 1991 Ford E100-E350 Econoline and vans
6. 1992 - 1995 Ford E100-E350 Econoline and vans up to 5.8L (351) engine
7. 1991 - 1994 Ford Explorer and Mazda Navajo
8. 1994 - 1997 Mazda B2300, B3000, B4000

hunterep said:
Hey james t, when you say put in a real box what do you recomend?? I got the stock one and the bottom seal is leaking, should I replace the seal or get this "real box".
You do understand that your Explorer doesn't use a steering box? You have rack-n-pinion. Swapping over to a steering box is quite a bit of work.

I have a 94 with 35's I was just adding my experience on front end parts!

the 94's a ranger so I was trying to keep it quiet!! :eek:

Back