Ford 460/7.5L...don't last long?

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Howdy. Someone once told me that the 460 isn't a high milage engine. We have one in our Ford/Jayco 32' class C motor home. A '96 with less than 30,000 miles, so nothing to worry about soon. But yeah, this dude said they only last till about 125,000 and they're worn out, no matter what you do with them. Is this all true?

I know the the 4.0L is a long lasting motor though. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 460 won't last as long as a 4.0 that much is true. However a 460 can last past 125k. Just make sure to keep it tuned regurally and use good oil. I've seen 454's with over 150k still going strong. Big motors like the 460 weren't meant to go 2-300k, but they can if properly cared for. At 30k you have just broken it in, relax and worry about it when you start getting blue smoke and blow-by.

:chug: :chug:

F14CRAZY said:
Howdy. Someone once told me that the 460 isn't a high milage engine. We have one in our Ford/Jayco 32'' class C motor home.

Big motor in a 32 inch motor home. ;)

My old man has the 460 with a 4 barrel in a '78 Town Car. The worst part is you have to let that beast warm up properly on cold days or expect a flood out. Other that that it rocks.

I fixed the 32 incher :D . The 460 seems to be decent otherwise. Tons of power and all. Just lousy gas milage.

Your friend is somewhat correct, the 460 doesnt have the longevity typically seen in the Ford OHV 4liter or the H.O. style 5 liters. As with any engine, it will depend mainly on the owner..... but id say about 125-140k is average for starting to see signs of wear.

So what was the last year for it? 1998?

Crankcase said:
So what was the last year for it? 1998?
As far as i know, yes. It died with the introduction of the Superduty in 99.

I recall that the class C Ford chassis had the Triton V10 for the 1997 model year. How does the V10 do against the old 460?

They're really rare, but once in a long while, we'll sight a class C motor home with a Power Stroke :thumbsup:

I have seen 460's last 200K but they are done by then. My dad's '94 F-250 has 150K on it and its still running strong. Its starting to show its age, but it doesn't leak, smoke or burn any oil.
As for the V10, my boss has one in his 32 foot mtr home and it is a runner. Lots of power and decent milege too.

Anyone know if a v10 will bolt up to a c6 in place of a 460? In a 1969 Lincoln Mark III? Maybe yank the trans too and use an OD trans?

don't know the answers to your questions, but if you're looking for a dare to be different built up this would be it. Other than daring to be different I can't think of a single reason to do it. The 460 and C6 are both bulletproof, and can obtain any amount of Hp you wish to obtain. The 6.8 might make better factory Hp, but the 460 would mop the floor with it, given the proper mods, and the C6 is indestructible if built right. Both mods would cost you less than swapping in the 6.8

:chug: :chug:

Howdy. Someone once told me that the 460 isn't a high milage engine. We have one in our Ford/Jayco 32' class C motor home. A '96 with less than 30,000 miles, so nothing to worry about soon. But yeah, this dude said they only last till about 125,000 and they're worn out, no matter what you do with them. Is this all true?

I know the the 4.0L is a long lasting motor though. :thumbsup:
Sorry to bring this back from the dead put my ford f250's big block has 251027 miles on it and has some guts left in it yet...

Back