• Register Today It's free!

Swapping Stereos

theven7

Reaction score
City, State
Tuscaloosa, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I just got a new iPod and I'm severely dissapointed that I cannot plug it directly into my 2001 Ex Sport with in-dash 6 disc changer. My dad has a 2002 or 2003 Mazda B2300 pickup with a factory single cd stereo and I know I can plug an AUX adapter into it. My question is: will the B2300 stereo plug directly into my factory harnesses, so I can still use my sub, etc... or will it require some re-wiring? Also, can I plug the in-dash changer from the Sport into the B2300's harnesses? I hope one of you guys has some expertise on this. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just get one of those RF transmitters to use your ipod w/ the existing stereo.

Something like this or maybe a more generic one w/ a headphone jack:
http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.asp?sku=202381385&adid=17662

Or, if your stereo has a CD changer or other control port, you may be able to make some sort of adapter that lets you use it as an aux input.

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently using an RF transmitter, but the sound quality/volume is definitely not good enough for me. As far as an auxilliary port goes: that's the problem with this particular head unit, there is no extra port in which to plug an adapter. That's why I'm thinking about swapping stereos. I actually found a Mach head unit on eBay with a CD/Cassette that I'm pretty sure will work. We'll see.

Your Ex radio has 3 plug receptacles on the back, 20-pin, 16-pin and 8-pin. A few higher end Ranger/Mazda head units also have the 3 receptacles. However, most only have the 16-pin. The single CD Ranger/Mazda HU's usually only have the 16-pin receptacle and cannot support a factory sub/amp. You can check yours to be sure.

Plug functions for your Ex Radio:
16-pin: Basic head unit functions like power, ground, door speakers, etc.
20-pin: VSS input for Speed Sensitive Volume, steering wheel controls, rear seat controls, remote CD changer, etc.
8-pin: Factory subwoofer/amplifier.

The 98+ Explorer dual media CD/cassette HU's do have the three plugs. Be careful, though. Display failure is common on these.

rwenzing, thanks for the info. That's the most helpful information I've seen thus far. I'll check it out when I'm home during Thanksgiving. Thanks again!

snip

The 98+ Explorer dual media CD/cassette HU's do have the three plugs. Be careful, though. Display failure is common on these.

Not all of 'em. Not all of them come equipped for the subwoofer or the changer. Mine is a dual media, and it only has two of the three plugs.

Also, the display failure can be corrected for about $75. It's not a major problem. Ask for Trevor at www.pacificaudiotech.com.

Visit www.pie.net and look for an adapter that may work for you. With the 6-disc, it's unlikely it'll have one that's compatible. If you had the factory cassette with teh changer controls, odds are you could get one with an Ipod interface that'll let you use the stereo controls to control the Ipod.

-Joe

Not all of 'em. Not all of them come equipped for the subwoofer or the changer. Mine is a dual media, and it only has two of the three plugs.

Also, the display failure can be corrected for about $75. It's not a major problem. Ask for Trevor at www.pacificaudiotech.com.

Visit www.pie.net and look for an adapter that may work for you. With the 6-disc, it's unlikely it'll have one that's compatible. If you had the factory cassette with teh changer controls, odds are you could get one with an Ipod interface that'll let you use the stereo controls to control the Ipod.

-Joe

75 bucks is a lot to fix a stock head unit, if i were in your position I would just buy an aftermarket head unit, you can have a really decent alpine with a couple preamp outputs and an ipod hookup for 150 bucks.

Thanks for the info, guys. I got a Mach CD/Cassette combo with all three plugs I need off eBay for $114 shipping and all. Best part is, I can just steal the PIE Aux. adapter off the radio in my Dad's truck and put it in mine. :) God bless eBay! By the way, the reason I didn't want to go aftermarket was purely aesthetic. Aftermarket radios just look too gawdy for me. I like the clean, factory look of OEM. If I need to add more power, etc...I'll pay someone some $ to add it to my factory stereo. Thanks again.

Back