Burns SAS thread | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burns SAS thread

Well as a few of you know my X was messeed up a bit due to a accident. so i have been looking for a new plan.
i have my axles (d44/ford9") all i need is to choose what i am gonna do.
i was thinking about thiS:
In the front i plan to use whild horse 5.5 inch coils,
1005_cut.jpg

for radius arms i plan to use this.
1425LO~1.jpg

they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms.i have the whole frame from a 78 f-150 that i plan to get the coil buckets and steering off of.
i want to use a 37 inch tire and use 4.88 gears
i dont see a problem with any of this so i need some info to see if i have missed anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to climb a ledge that was about 3ft vert then started to level out. RockRanger couldn't make it so Rick tried and on his second attempt he gave it a bump and when it landed...bang, rattle rattle rattle... :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

wow i never thought you could do something like that. do you know why the tubes would twis like that. y wouldnt it just twist the rear springs before it spun the tubes.

but you have to say that still is quite a bit of pressure we are putting on these parts.

but you have to say that still is quite a bit of pressure we are putting on these parts.

IMO, these welds have always been the weak point of the 8.8. There's been a few articles (i think one here on ExplorerForum and plenty on PBB) about the magical spinning 8.8.

a back brace on a 9" isnt for protection, its to add strength to the rear.

wow i never thought you could do something like that. do you know why the tubes would twis like that. y wouldnt it just twist the rear springs before it spun the tubes.

If the springs were soft enough that would happen but most people run an overload and/or add-a-leafs which makes the leaf pack harder to bend so something else has to give and that usually results with a spun diff.

Those trussed 9" housings are most popular with the desert racing crowd since they are jumping their trucks over and over and would most likely end up with a bent housing. For slow and go wheeling, some extra plate steel on the underside going up and in front of the ring gear should be plenty strong IMO.

hehehehe wow that 8.8 put up with ALOT before it finally went hua Rick? years of service!! A truss would help but for our type of wheeling welding the center section would probably be sufficient the 8.8 is a strong mamma jamma

it is my understanding that the 8.8 tubes and center section are actually stronger then a factory 9" rear, I am not sure if this includes spinning the tubes or not (strength wise) but the 9" housing is not as strong when it comes to bending/ cracking, etc? Maybe I am wrong but I am pretty sure i've read discussions about this. Basically upgrading to the 9" may have some advantages but some dis advantages as well

i plan to do a protection on the back for the rear cover and on the front with the low ujoint

none of the 3rd member axles are as stong as their open back counterparts (housing bends wise) since they are all one piece. Take a gander at an 8.8 (or any open-back housing)...you will notice there is quite a bit of beed around the pumpkin and where the tubes enter the diff. Now take a look at a 3rd member axle....not as much beef. Its all just a single cast that forms the shape. Thats why you see alot of trussed Toy 8's and Trussed 9's; because they bend rather easily.

none of the 3rd member axles are as stong as their open back counterparts (housing bends wise) since they are all one piece. Take a gander at an 8.8 (or any open-back housing)...you will notice there is quite a bit of beed around the pumpkin and where the tubes enter the diff. Now take a look at a 3rd member axle....not as much beef. Its all just a single cast that forms the shape. Thats why you see alot of trussed Toy 8's and Trussed 9's; because they bend rather easily.

Thats the I reason invested in this

114_1482.jpg

This is true.

The "one piece" 3rd member design does however have one advantage -- its not cast .. allowing modifications/welding to the center section a piece of cake .. so i guess it pretty much begs to be trussed :D

I guess redranger4.0 has the best of both worlds -- thick tubes and non-cast center :D

turned out the stock housing i had was bent so it was either hunt down another 76-77 EB 9" housing, or just have one made.

Ever figure out your backspacing?
The rims that were on my axles have 3 & 11/16 backspacing, not sure about offset..
They are from somewhere between 73 and 79 f150 so may be similiar

-PS deep pockets huh?

:D

Ever figure out your backspacing?
The rims that were on my axles have 3 & 11/16 backspacing, not sure about offset..
They are from somewhere between 73 and 79 f150 so may be similiar

-PS deep pockets huh?

:D

if you ask me that i must have just not see it. sorry about that. my rims are off a 1978 f150. i will try to check on the backspacing some time tomm for you.

ok well tomm i will go check that out. its been snowing all day or i would go out there and check now lol

Back