97 no heat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 no heat

emac08

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 sport
blowing cold air i checked coolant its fine also engine temp has been running low any suggestions

checked blend door it opens when ac is on closed when heat is turned on is this what it is supposed to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a thermostat.

Sounds like a thermostat.
Yep, sounds the the stat to me as well, if the temp gage is reading low. Your thermostat may be stuck open and not allowing the engine to heat up properly.

I was having this exact problem up to this last weekend. I had very little heat and it took forever to get it too. And the temp gauge would barely even move. I finally got around to changing the thermostat and coolant. And for the first time in the 3 years that I've owned my expo I have heat and the gauge actually gets into the normal range. :thumbsup:

Its either gonna be a bad thermostat or a bad blend door. To verify, turn the truck on to AC and MAX AC and see if cold air comes thru the vents. If there is luke warm air coming thru the vents in AC and cold air in MAX AC then chances are its the blend door. I would start with the easiest, that being the thermostat. For a SOHC it should run about $15 for the thermostat plus a few dollars for the seal for the thermostat. OHV is probably around $5 plus a few dollars for the seal as well.

Back