Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So very true Jamie!

How about offering a "introduction to off-roading" class for newbees. I got a couple of good beginners tapes we can show and then do a little hands on practice. Count me in if I can make it.

That, my friend, is an AWESOME idea. You can count me in too. If I can make it next year, what will probably happen is that my wife Ashli and her 8 yr old son Ivan will fly out to Grand Junction and then join us for the weekend (I remember back a few years ago when I brought my son who was about 9 at the time and we had a great time on the trail and it was a wonderful father/son experience).

If that happens and I'm joined by Ashli and Ivan, I'll probably be hitting a few stocker trails like the ones in Arches Nat'l Park so Ivan can see the dinosaur tracks on the Klondike Bluffs trail and etc. I'm at the stage now where it would be just as much fun to help beginners and enjoying participating in watching their excitement as it would be to go test and trash my rig.... I've gone about as far with my Explorer "Herc" as I can without doing an SAS and rolling it, and I'd just assume not do that quite yet. The only real goal I have left for Moab is to run the Flat Iron Mesa trail which has become such a curse to my planning that it is now almost comical... maybe I'm just not destined to ever run that trail, LOL. Aside from trying once again to tackle the 4-rated Flat Iron Mesa, I'd be happy leading stockers on some of the easier and just-as-scenic dozens of other trails waiting for them in Moab.

The question remains: how do we get some stockers and streeters out to Moab? We've tried getting the street scene out there before and the effort fell flat on its face. I gotta believe that now that we have 50,000 members there HAS to be at least a couple of dozen that weren't with us on this site five years ago, but secretly want to give it a try... but maybe they're intimidated by the fact that those of us who already have been there now have built rigs and they'd be embarassed (?) or for some other reason hesitate to attend (?)

How do we get some new blood out there? Maybe this could be the year to focus some real effort into getting that done? Let's keep brainstorming and come up with something! :thumbsup:

It sounds like Tom could provide some multimedia support that we could play on an RV or portable TV link and build interest from there. We all know that isn't really needed and all someone has to do is show up [that's how we all did it, right?], but maybe we could use that as a "hook" to gather interest and present a more "professional" attitude toward making this a major event.

Rick do you have any additional ideas? Like I PM'd you, I'll know in another month if I can make it or not for sure.... if so, I'd like to do Flat Iron Mesa on Thursday just so I know I finally got that trail under my belt.... then after that, I'd be happy to volunteer the entire weekend from Friday through Sunday to help with stockers and/or near-stockers..... but we have to fgure out how to inject the Bug into them and get them out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive been talking to a friend of mine with a zuk thats soa'd and got some decent tires, he wants to come with work permitting. Ive all but decided to go, but six months is a fairly long time and I don't know what will go on between now and then. I'm ready to go.

As for being a noob, I am as far as rock crawling, there is none of that in my neck of the woods, so I will definitely need some help as to how to go about it. Ill have the rig built, but will need some help on the trails.

I looked at locker prices, and they are probably out unless I get a chunk of change somewhere. I had no idea they were so expensive. The ARB air locker is my only choice for my front diff, and they are pricey and I'd still need a compressor or air source. I hope I can wheel with a factory LS out back and and open front.

I am really looking forward to going!

There are plenty of trails you can do with the LS and open front.

I'm still running open front and rear and have done many of the trails in Moab. However, any locker or LS is going to help a great deal.

There are plenty of trails you can do with the LS and open front.

I'm still running open front and rear and have done many of the trails in Moab. However, any locker or LS is going to help a great deal.

Thats good to hear $1500 worth of lockers is expensive!

Question for those who have been on the rocks-

I need some wider wheels before I go for extra width, I think. I was thinking of getting some 15x8 or 15x10 black rock crawlers and some less expensive tires for my off road adventures. (my aluminum ranger wheels bend to easily, it took several tries to find straight ones from the junk yard)

My question is, do I need M/T's or A/T's, which works better for the rocks?

the groups are very helpful. you do not need to be worried about getting help on the trails out there, other members are always spotting each other, and tackling repairs, no truck is left behind hahahaha

I agree. As a matter of fact I believe the ATs may be better on Moab rock than MTs. There's so much traction that you want all the rubber you can get on the ground to grab it. The terrain is nothing like the slick muddy crap that you have to deal with in Arkansas and the east. I'm back to BFG ATs after going through a couple sets of MTRs and won't feel hampered one bit on Moab terrain. I'd hazard a guess that most of us were using BFG ATs the first time we visited Moab. I was.

Man, if I could make this trip, I could go ahead and die. I would love to go.

I have my doubts ($$$) if I can swing the needed stuff, however, my wife and I have discussed this.
She is going to need a nudge, I think--

come to Denver and you can drive the last 6 hours with our group (or just me if there is no group)

Mountaineergreereereereern:

The wheels and tires you have right now will be fine for Moab. All Terrains do really really well out there.

I'm really starting to like the black rock crawler look, and I don't know if you understand how easily my current wheels get bent. The main structure of the wheel is on the outer lip, the back lip has no support. I went through ~10 different wheels at the salvage yard before I found 4 that were somewhat straight! I may get some 16x8's and run my current tires.

How about offering a "introduction to off-roading" class for newbees. I got a couple of good beginners tapes we can show and then do a little hands on practice. Count me in if I can make it.

I'll volunteer to show the newbies how it's NOT supposed to be done :D

We would love to go but with a kid in school...it's probably not gonna happen :(

For the new people thinking about going
I went last year, first 4x4 event of my life... totally stock first gen(even still have the auto hubs)... I had a blast! everyone was way friendly! I did a few ride alongs, got to see the crazy stuff and went on some stocker runs. I was totally amazed at what my truck could do. It was an amazing experience! if you have a stock truck there will be plenty of runs you can do.

stock 93 explorer on "top of the world" moab 2006
PC020391%20crop%20small.JPG

thats my truck, had a blast, highly recomend any new guy contemplating it should come, bring a friend and have a blast. its a beautiful area.

as for me this year... still stock. that time is just after I graduate from my masters program, I might be in the process of moving or whatever so I cant say for sure whether I'll be able to go or not. I dont know where I'll be headed to work or when I'll have to start, if I'll even have a job. I definently will try to make things work out so I can go. I'll be way bummed if I cant.

I think a class for new guys would be pretty good, maybe find a trail that starts out real easy and gets harder as you go and you could start out talking about general use of the 4x4 and then get on the trail and pull off every so often and discuss what is gonna be ahead and talk about finding the right lines and how to deal with different obstacles. The instructor could ride along, alternating the vehicle he is in, and that vehicle does the leading, that way everyone has a chance to be the leader. I dont really know what all it should include... I'm still a new guy :p

for stocker run pics go to http://www.jschrodt.net/pics/Utah/Moab/
and look at pics PC020361.JPG through PC030509.JPG
I was the only true stocker, but I made it through the whole trip fine

If any new guys have any concerns or questions just ask, and feel free to PM me!

thats exactly how far i pulled my BII up to the edge on TOW the first year i went, the next 3 times i got a little closer
the trail to TOW has a couple of spots that will really challenge a stock truck, nice work!!

thats exactly how far i pulled my BII up to the edge on TOW the first year i went, the next 3 times i got a little closer
the trail to TOW has a couple of spots that will really challenge a stock truck, nice work!!

yah, I wanna get closer if I do it again...

and I felt challenged a lot of times... only hit bottom a handful of times... maybe 5 or 6 and none hard

and got the strap once when my 4x4 was on the fritz for a little bit. but I shouldnt have needed it normally

Plan on being there. I will know more in Feb. I grew up in around Farmington NM and sandstone is an old friend. Had a 80 Powerwagon, stock, that just upset the jeepers up there.

Im a newbe!!! not to off-roading but to moab. Im really going to try and make it there. If for some reason my I couldnt bring my X could i possably ride with someone else? I live in the Denver area. Do I have to register and by when?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would love to get out there this summer. i could make it if i saved up and didnt buy the lockers.

oh wow. check this out if i came:

for me to drive there.

Total Est. Time: 24 hours, 2 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 1605.81 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back