MountaineerGreen's Sliders | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MountaineerGreen's Sliders

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What if I got these:

sliders9.jpg

I can get them fairly reasonably, and they look good. I dunno :dunno:

Where did you find these, come on man dont leave us in the dark.:eek:

The only problem is they come in the wrong length:rolleyes:

58" Way Too Short
67" about 5" too short
78" about 6" too long

:dunno:

That and you can't just put the supports where ever you want, there mite me other things in the way.

I used Toyota ones on mine, but mine is a sport. They turned out pretty nice, I just made sure I found ones that didn't ahve the legs welded on yet so that I couls make them fit my application better.

I still don't have any answer on the tape- a strip or small squares?

I used small pieces over every hole. The Herculiner will bond better and more permanantly than the tape, so keep the tape area as small as possible. I had mine like that for 3 years (before I sold the truck) without any problems.

The only problem is they come in the wrong length:rolleyes:

58" Way Too Short
67" about 5" too short
78" about 6" too long

:dunno:

That and you can't just put the supports where ever you want, there mite me other things in the way.

I measured, and I have 76" from wheel well edge to edge. I believe I can take the 78" model and take a little from each end and make them fit. They can shorten them but charge extra. Still trying to figure this all out.

I used Toyota ones on mine, but mine is a sport. They turned out pretty nice, I just made sure I found ones that didn't ahve the legs welded on yet so that I couls make them fit my application better.

These that I am looking at will come unwelded with 4 posts/ outriggers per side that are pre notched for the tubing-

These that I am looking at will come unwelded with 4 posts/ outriggers per side that are pre notched for the tubing-

Sounds like mine, I believe I got them from marlin. I had three legs, but mine were shorter.

I think that 2x4 material that you said you could get free would be the best way to go.

This is a picture of RockRanger's rig and I think he used 2x2. He was going to redo them but if you place the 2x4 piece in the right spot (out far enough), it would work fine.

1600TH18.jpg

Humm, I really don't know what I am going to do. The free steel would be nice, but I still want it to look good.

There is a fab shop a few miles away I am going to go see tomorrow. I am going to take him some of these ^^^ pictures and see what he can do.

I am working on my rockers today. I got a can of herc, sand paper and tape, should be done tonight. Im taking a few pictures as I go.

Here's a better pic of RockRanger's.

If he had a 2x4 piece they would be perfect. The 2x2 just doesn't stick out quite far enough.

Carnage_4.jpg

The single piece of matierial actually look really good. It keeps a nice clean look.

This is Jefe's

DSCF0880.jpg

Rick's:

DSCF0990.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, I personally am not crazy about the looks of Jefe's or Ricks sliders. I am sure they are highly functional and practical, but I am trying to keep the curved look at least for now. It appears that this is going to have to be my DD for a few years, so I want to keep it somewhat modern looking. The 2x4 steel looks like running boards to me. The bent tube outers really help the looks- like you have, FROADER. The tube bars look more like the tube steps on sport explorers, which looks better IMO. This picture is what I really like.

nerf_install.jpg

I can kick them up down or lay them flat, will have decent body protection while still keeping a newer look. When I get ready to make it off road only, then I can have function over form.

Herc'd the rocker panels

I got the rocker panels herculined today-

First tapped the lines then-

Filled the body cavity with touch foam after cleaning out with fast drying carb cleaner to make sure there was no water. I did all of the holes that way except for the front two-

This isn't me, its my co worker-

herc_004_Medium_.jpg

Waited on the foam to dry, then shaved the foam with a razor blade flush to the body. Sanded the rockers with 80 grit paper, wiped down with prep all-

herc_007_Medium_.jpg

Two coats of herc with a small paint roller and pan, then pulled the tape.

Overall shot-
herc_009_Medium_.jpg

Drivers Side Close Front- Notice the nice lines
herc_010_Medium_.jpg

Passenger Side Front-
herc_013_Medium_.jpg

Driver rear
herc_011_Medium_.jpg

Pass Rear
herc_014_Medium_.jpg

Driver Side Door Sill
herc_018_Medium_.jpg

Passenger Side
herc_015_Medium_.jpg

that looks good nice job

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back