AWD ---> 4x4 Manual T-Case Swap | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD ---> 4x4 Manual T-Case Swap

I am only going with 4.10 because this ex is my tow rig and will see long hauls on the highway, otherwise it would be 4.56 for me

I would say 20% may be a bit much, but its not far off. I think Mountain posted his MPG improvements didn't he?
2-3 mpg?

the conversion pays for itself as soon as you step on the gas IMO, its like a different truck, seriously

tire wear was a big factor for me, tires are expensive, awd = eats front tires
MPG opn the highway while towing in a straight line will be fantastic without the awd sucking up gas
highway passing power is WAY better, dont forget I also have a cam and bolt ons, but even a stock 5.0L would really benefit from this
steering is finally normal, no more struggle
the 4x4 feels really solid in this explorer, this is my first IFS truck and well, I am impressed with the 4x4 feel
the low range is LOW (have I said that before?) It makes the ex into a tank.
the coolness factor of having a V8 manual shift 4x4 even if nobody notices but you
the AWD t case is problematic after 125K miles, its a clutch its going to wear out
accelleration

those are the reasons, gas $$$, $$$ from parts also help. :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the conversion pays for itself as soon as you step on the gas IMO, its like a different truck, seriously

The difference is amazing, the AWD robs power it seems, mine tows much better with the different case. I would never go back AWD.

the AWD t case is problematic after 125K miles, its a clutch its going to wear out

My dad's Mounty has 125k on it, so I guess no one would want the AWD case...

I thought they were a gear driven case, kinda like a gear driven Torson limited slip?

my current AWD case has 85K on it and I am having a hard time selling it. I sold my 150K mile case before I even had a chance to look at it, and I sold the 53K awd case I had in one day.

I think its just a matter of getting the word out and then waiting until somebody needs one.
Junk yards charge $300+ even with 150K miles, if it was working then they will sell it and somebody who needs their truck fixed will buy it.

My dad's Mounty has 125k on it, so I guess no one would want the AWD case...

I thought they were a gear driven case, kinda like a gear driven Torson limited slip?

I wouldn't be scared of the case if the truck hasn't been off roaded much, abused and such. My case with 120k on it was fine when I removed it. I sold it to a member on here for $200 shipped.

So i am also in the process of trying this conversion as i think my t-case took a **** on me... when i stomp the gas it goes but somthing popping... Anyway i am still alittle confused. would this be all time 4x4 or can i use the button center consol from a 97+ ex so u have option of 2wd,4wd, and 4wd low. any help would be appriciated.

Ok so i mis read the manual t-case... is it possible to use a electric shift case from any other explorer... i found BW4405 with the shift module for 600 freshly rebuilt... or is it just more cost effective and reliable for the manuel shift?

Try running a search for the electric shift case. If I'm not mistaken, you need to swap a sport gas tank into your 4-door in order for the shift motor to clear. Again, I remember reading some stuff, so run a search and you should be able to come up with some info on it.

well I did this swap a while ago with a electric case. Now the auto wrecker that I deal with have 3 of the bw4406 manuals twof them for sure have the vss in the tailshaft. I asked on price as I know some people would be interested. He sells them for quit a bit but will "give it to me for $500 cdn" so if anyone wants one then I coul arrange something to help you out, they are all sans shift linkage but there is a goodposibility that they have the linkages just have to wait till some snow goes away to find those.

Back