2 1/2 ton axles | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 1/2 ton axles

Thats the thing. There arent any "regular rims" to fit rocks. You will either have to reuse the stock wheels (not the best choice), recenter some hummers (which means you will now need some new tires since those wont work), or get you some custom ones. ($$$)

umm, what about the "super singles" that are used on 2.5 ton military trucks
IMO Burns, go to the forum I listed and go look at some of the rigs, get some ideas for tires/wheels ect, You might be able to find some cheaper workarounds vs going custom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My buddy did his rig for quite a bit under 4k. We flipped the front hubs so the front width is same as rear, i think the brakes are Honda something or other, and we made the wheels. We took a set of 15x10's he had laying around and cut the centers out and made new centers ourselves. Used the axle as a lathe, tacked the center in, put truck in 1st gear low range and checked runout. Knocked rim around with a hammer until true, then weld up. Building your own wheels is very easy... remember this is on a truck that will never see over 15mph and will never see pavement.

Driveshafts are cut down 2.5 ton shafts. He cut an adapter plate out of 1" steel for the stock D20 yoke, and welded it on. Same thing here as building the rims... tack driveshaft together, bolt into truck, put everything in neutral and turn shaft by hand. Use plumb bob off of floor of truck to check runout on shaft. Use hammer to align, then weld up.

The biggest cost was the tubing. He's running radius arms front and rear, so we used the same amount of tube as if you were doing two 4-links. Bushings on one end and heims on the other. The tube and joints cost almost as much as the axles did (maybe more). And now he's got to re-do the rear, as the rear radius arms didnt work out that great.

umm, what about the "super singles" that are used on 2.5 ton military trucks
IMO Burns, go to the forum I listed and go look at some of the rigs, get some ideas for tires/wheels ect, You might be able to find some cheaper workarounds vs going custom

Maybe saying "stock rims" didnt get it across to you. Stock military rims are what I meant by this. There are no aftermarket bolt on Rockwell wheels. They are going to be custom (or stock off of some other military vehicle).

im with slravene, there is alot more to this then your thinking. Links are defidently going to run you at least 800 or so. The tubing and joints you need to handle rocks are expensive. its not work he talking about its the parts costs them selves that will run that much. remember you need 16 joints for links. if they run. just for an example say you went with the EVO heims. thats 100 dollars each. 1600 on just heims. DOM in a big enough size is going to run alot too. you need to go through and price everything out down to brake lines. and nuts and bolts. all the stuff adds up quickly.

Maybe saying "stock rims" didnt get it across to you. Stock military rims are what I meant by this. There are no aftermarket bolt on Rockwell wheels. They are going to be custom (or stock off of some other military vehicle).

Yeah, but when you said "stock rims" I figured you meant the original 2.5 dually rims, which are not the best for a off road rig, but they also have the "super singles" which are a single tire double beadlock rim, just like the hummer rim, just bigger

There is so many ways to build these things out so no way is really wrong or right IMO...

you need to go through and price everything out down to brake lines. and nuts and bolts. all the stuff adds up quickly.

He is 100% right, the stuff does add up fast, hell I'm over $400 in to my front D44 and dont have the axle shafts, steering links, locker, gears or my links built.
Most people blow over 4k just on a normal SAS if you refresh/replace most of the parts (or you spend $4k worth of time looking for cheaper ways out unless you get lucky off the start)

how about your link material costing 8-10 dollars a foot, times 8 links thats are at least a few feet long each?

How about the heavy duty joints for the ends of the links?

If you use ****ty heims on the end of the steerings you just going to have to replace them soon, they will take alot of abuse from rockwells and friggin 46's.

Bolts for all the link mounts, all the little stuff you cant predict. You now have the big stuff and its already over 4k, its wont be anywhere close.

And talk to the guys who have dealt with usa 6x6, and see if they believe what their website reads.

Burns, i wouldnt deal with them. Ive heard a lot of bad rep and no good coming from them.

He is 100% right, the stuff does add up fast, hell I'm over $400 in to my front D44 and dont have the axle shafts, steering links, locker, gears or my links built.
Most people blow over 4k just on a normal SAS if you refresh/replace most of the parts (or you spend $4k worth of time looking for cheaper ways out unless you get lucky off the start)

oh i spent close to 3500 on my d44/9inch swap....I still have the option to spend a little more money and use chucks trucks.....

im already 5k into my SAS with a d44/9", still have to do brakes, upper link, truss, steering

actually about 4k about 1000 of that is beadlocks and PRP seats

oh i spent close to 3500 on my d44/9inch swap....I still have the option to spend a little more money and use chucks trucks.....

really go check the mv (mill vech) site, some of the guys there get the 6x6's and take one of the rocks off them and shorten the frame, or get extra trucks just for parts, never know what ya might be able to find for low $$, and having to teardown and go over the axle yourself is a good thing, then you will know the thing inside and out

subscribing

I would do a little research and think twice about dealing with usa6x6, check out ouverson engineering for some top notch rockwell parts.

plus what are you doing for shocks? coils or coilovers? long travel shocks run 70-100 a pop at least. Good ones are closer to 120.

Like I said id love to see this done, but it sounds kinda like your movie theater idea.

Im not saying that im gonna cut it off at 4000 and just slap it together...that was just a rough estimate on how much i thought i would spend....

This is something i think that is in my reach this year,,,

Coils are not expensive.i have one set ill try and see how big they end up on being... Shocks can be mounted in different locations to make them smaller and save the same purpose

Burns, did you get my email for the btf catolog?

btf makes a great link kit for the rockwell. It has erverything you need for the fron t and rear and will be under 500 bucks. Im getting the stuff for my front link from them. If i have the extra time i may link the rear too.

so the links are in there i must have just missed them i looked thought it really fast i got it 20mins before a class....ill have to look again

page 89-96 at 100% zoom. Links and tabs, coil over mounts etc.

ok i got ya....I found some cheaper weld on tabs that would make it easier for me to fab up the mounts for the links...plus a lot cheaper because you have to do the work yourself....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought the whole point of this was to have it flex like mad? Than you need long travel shocks or else you might as well just do it on leafs (which if done right can still flex, I know)

Back