Ball Joint Help

colindo94

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cameron Park, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT
Can someone please give me some step by step instruction on replacing the ball joints as soon as possible. I don't know if I need to remove the c joints so i can get in there with the c clamp ball joint tool. Will I have to take the rotors off to pull the axles? I just don't know what to do. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search the forums, you will find out everything you need to know.

Iv been searching for a while.

Can someone please give me some step by step instruction on replacing the ball joints as soon as possible. I don't know if I need to remove the c joints so i can get in there with the c clamp ball joint tool. Will I have to take the rotors off to pull the axles? I just don't know what to do. thanks

You will need to completely strip the Steering knuckle and pull out the axle shafts. In the pic below the shaft is ready to be pulled out. You should probably pickup a haynes manual. It has lots of info on this...

Brake job diary
Spindle removal
18205Removed_Spindle.jpg

I 2nd getting the Chilton's/Haynes manual. When I did my balljoints the first time, that's what I worked with and figured it out just fine. If print manuals are too old-fashioned for you, the vehicle repair guides at www.autozone.com are the equivalent of a Chiltons. If, after reviewing the repair procedure, you have specific questions or run into a hang up (like the spindle not wanting to come off, my BII did that one to me), then post here and we can help get you through the tricky parts.

thanks a lot guys. I got it figured out. the only question I have now is about the wheel speed sensor for ABS. Does it just pop off? I dont want to break it. And how do I know if the U joints are shot. may as well change them out hile I got them out. Thanks for the help.

thanks a lot guys. I got it figured out. the only question I have now is about the wheel speed sensor for ABS. Does it just pop off? I dont want to break it. And how do I know if the U joints are shot. may as well change them out hile I got them out. Thanks for the help.

I guess you didn't read through all the info yet... ;) The sensor remains in place as seen in the photo in the previous post, but you will need to remove the ABS sensor protector (pictured in RED below).

ABS sensor
The Sensor is an aluminum cylinder Pressed into the steering knuckle. Do not attempt to remove it since it will be destroyed in the process. You will however need to removed the ABS sensor support bracket which the sensor passes through.

2 bolts, 1 of which is hidden.
6mm 12pt 1/4"drive
3/8" drive sockets are too wide and will not fit.

Caution using a 6pt, or 1/4 socket may STRIP the bolt). I couldn't find this socket so used a 1/4 6pt socket. The passengers came off fine. The drivers side stripped. I used several differently sized drill bits to Erase most of the head (Don't drill into the Knuckle!). I then used a cold chisel and hammer to pop off the head. I then removed the ABS Sensor bracket, put it in a vise and used vise grips to unscrew the broken bolt (it came off easy).

205Restored_Steering_knuckle_ready_for_install_WEB.jpg

18205Restored_Steering_knuckle_WEB.jpg

Do I need to take the steering nuckle off like in the picture above to take out the ball joints. Can I do it when the nuckles on the truck.

OK so i took the steering nuckle completly off. now i can put the nuckle in a vice and press the ball joints out. by the way the chiltons i have sucks and doesn't give any of the right info for my truck. its all 2nd gen or two wheel drive. anyways. so it says press the lower ball joint out first. to do this do I press the joit down or up . Im still a bit lost. thanks for the help so far.

OK so i took the steering nuckle completly off. now i can put the nuckle in a vice and press the ball joints out. by the way the chiltons i have sucks and doesn't give any of the right info for my truck. its all 2nd gen or two wheel drive. anyways. so it says press the lower ball joint out first. to do this do I press the joit down or up . Im still a bit lost. thanks for the help so far.

Yeah you need to get your hands on a Haynes 91-94.. they are under $15 and will more than pay for itself in this job alone.. Anyway the ball joints get pressed UP to get them out.. In the pic below you can see the lower ball joint (right) has already been removed. It is important to do it in order because you need the opening to put the screw through to press out the upper joint (left). BTW keep the new ball joints in the freezer so they will shrink a few thousands of an inch allowing they to easily be pressed into the knuckle..

18205Pressing_out_ball_joint_3.jpg

thanks...that just cleared up most of my questions. so is hynes better then chiltons.?

thanks...that just cleared up most of my questions. so is hynes better then chiltons.?

For some things the haynes is much better (which is what i have and prefer). when I thumbed through a chiltons it didn't have the detail and info that the haynes did on the subjects i needed covered...

Pay attention to installing the ball joints in the correct order as well..

DEROCHA

I'm looking at your PICS. I did my Ball joints on my '91...No ABS.

I'm looking at the Red ABS bracket and only see one hole to screw into the knuckle, you mention a hidden hole...where is it?

I'm Guessing the Spindle has a notch in it to accept the sensor? on the '91 I could put the Spindle on the 6 bolts anyway I wanted. I guess the newer Spindles have a notch to accept the protruding Sensor?

I may be doing my nephews '94 this Spring ..just trying to anticipate the differences.

Back