Darkness's new project~ D44 & 9" | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Darkness's new project~ D44 & 9"

Well I have been planning for the longest time to cut and turn a d44 ttb and somehow make it fit where the d35 is but... not anymore much as I love the ttb frontend I had a deal I couldnt pass up fall in my lap so now its SAS w/ a d44 and 9" rear from a '79 f150 going under my truck
Current pics found here!

Current plan is...
D44
1:clean up/teardown DONE!
2:cut/narrrow (I'm not going to run a full width front) DONE!
3:reload it, new brakes/hubs/joints/inner shafts (one EB longside and f150 short side) possible locker/regear funds depending :part Done, hubs, shafts, ujoints left to go
4:make it aimable, probably a early bronco steering setup or something semi custom
Steering on order

9" ON HOLD, going with the 8.8 and adapters for the current moment

1:clean all the rust off it (like the f150 frame thats sitting on it)
2:clean up/teardown
Added- Narrow it
3:figure out how to stop it, pick/figure out/fab brakes for it
4: maybe get new shafts/3rd member

Sounds simple right? Right... pics will be up by the end of this week for the project start

Note! I do know that the '79 d44 have cast ends and I am going to cut it down and it will work!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow i feel dumb now... completly missed that ....thanx ya friggin jerk(TheRookie)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

No problem. :D

<-- usually right, always an a-hole

Any updates Boss?

Yeah but I didnt bother to take any pics yet, got the radius arms done and the spring perches done. Have the new 7 deg C bushings in and the arms are almost all the way on the truck before I gave up for the night last night, I'll probably bother to get it all the way together tonight and start on the track bar

Ok updates, 7* bushings did the trick, pinion angle and caster are about dead on now, radius arms are done, draglink is tacked, brakes are on but need bled
So... only things left, track bar, regear, maybe custom coil buckets and new upper shock mounts... drive :D

and more pics...
IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

What time should I be over there tomorrow? I mean I don't know what you're doing during the day so I don't want to show up if you're not there.

Looking good down there. Good deal there with the bushings, couldn't have done that again if we tried. What did the wheelbase end up at? Do you think those shocks will allow for enough flex, or are you not too concerned considering its gonna be mostly a street mochine?

What time should I be over there tomorrow? I mean I don't know what you're doing during the day so I don't want to show up if you're not there.
Only thing I need to do during the day is run out to the auto parts store and get new trackbar bushings and reload the shop fridge with some soda, so anytime during the day would work

Looking good down there. Good deal there with the bushings, couldn't have done that again if we tried. What did the wheelbase end up at? Do you think those shocks will allow for enough flex, or are you not too concerned considering its gonna be mostly a street mochine?

wheel base was 105 like we figured it would be, as for the shocks they are too short, and the upper shock mount isnt high enough from the radius arm
Only other thing is I may need to clock my t-case down some due to the front d-shaft clearance to the tranny, would also need to build a new tranny crossmember to clear the d-shaft if I do reclock it, but that can wait till i get the trackbar done

Lookin nice.

I think that pinion angle is still kinda high but you will know more when you play with 4x4 a little. I definately love those radius arms. The coils also have the same bow that mine had, You can usualy shim the bottom mount to make them sit straighter.

Sounds good

What did you do to shorten the track bar, any pics of the mount and the new end?

easy, I chopped the end off of it :D still need to figure out how it need to route though to clear everything and weld the stock end back on the frame side of it, for the mount I think I am going to lazy way it and just use the f150 frame mount + alittle gussets or just sleeve the frame and bolt the sob on

And damn does the thread suck to load on dial up (damn ice storm took out the cable)

The big Snap-On printed on the package didnt give it away? :p: its a R121 and I think Spas paided about $50-60 for it, and if ya get one be sure to use quality cutting lube with it

Yeah, woulda been nice if someone, you know, actually PAID ME BACK for it instead of renigging on trading me his diff cover for it :rolleyes:

Yeah, woulda been nice if someone, you know, actually PAID ME BACK for it instead of renigging on trading me his diff cover for it :rolleyes:

:p: Yep, and someone was suppose to bring back some stuff from the new years run but totaly forgot... :rolleyes: I had cash set aside... but now its hangin on the truck somewhere...

I just got this sweet deal off ebay, looks like the same reamer, different brand. I saw a guy on the Full Size Bronco forum use it and it worked fine. Can I trade it for a spiffy diff cover when I'm done too?

Question on the steering.
You bought jam nuts but I see in some previous pics the TREs already had nuts on them. Did not all the TREs not have the nuts with them or did you already put the nuts on and the order of the pics are just messin me up??

-thanks

Question on the steering.
You bought jam nuts but I see in some previous pics the TREs already had nuts on them. Did not all the TREs not have the nuts with them or did you already put the nuts on and the order of the pics are just messin me up??

-thanks

2 of the TRE's come with the jam nuts, 2 dont, tho one of mine came with 2 left jamnuts and was pregreased

Back