• Register Today It's free!

Water Pump Replacement Tips

uh60james

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport (Dora), '06 XLT
My water pump decided to take a crap today. I got to work and shut off the x and coolant started gushing out. I am wondering if this is task I can undertake myself or should take it to a shop. And also what tips anyone whos has changed one may have. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not hard, just have to remove the fan and that's the hardest part. Goto autozone and rent a fan removal tool, you get your money back when you return it.

A tip my dad showed me was to tie the gasket on with sewing thread. It's thin enough to not interfere with the threads, or the seal. But, it keeps the gasket nicely centered when trying to line everything up ;)

thanks, appreciate it

When I've done it, the sealant usually holds the gasket in place pretty well. The sewing thread idea is pretty neat though, I never thought of that before.

My tip: Although it's not necessary, I find it much easier to change the water pump with the radiator removed. To remove, it requires removing only two bolts, two hoses, and two tranny cooler lines (if you have an automatic transmission). You'll have the coolant drained anyway, and removing the rad will give you that much more clearance and wiggle room. And room to fit in your socket and extensions, and your hands/arms.

Other tip: torque the bolts that secure the water pump progressively and gradually...not all at once.

The hardest part is removing the fan, I agree with that--all fan clutch removal tools suck, for lack of a better word. The tranny cooler lines can be a tough if you choose to remove the radiator. Sometimes they are on there tight.

I did it, took me longer than expected at 4 hours but not everything went as planned. I got the fan off easy enough. The radiator drain plug was siezed, I was unable to remove the lower radiator hose so I cut it and went into the parts store where I was doing the work at to get the one hose the computer said they had. It was not there. The parts guy was pretty helpful and we got a piece of flexible radiator hose that was the same diameter and it was about half the cost of the right hose. I couple of the bolts on the pump proved to be tricky. Putting the new one on was a snap. Had to make another trip into the store to replace some hose clamps. The worst part for me was getting the fan back on, My gorilla hands dont fit in that little space very well and it was a real pain just to get the nut started. Should be quicker should I ever have to do it again, but I hope I don't.

Ummm, I think I just bought the fan clutch tool. The reciept says Fan Clutch Used Loan A-Tool With Limited Warrenty $30.00
Or do they just ring it up like that?

You pay the deposit fee for the loan-a-tool so they hope you'll bring it back to get the deposit fee back. Make sure you replace your thermostat. The coolant gushing sounds more like your problem was a stuck thermostat rather than the water pump. I did the same thing and replaced the pump, with alot of hassle, when it turned out a 10 minute thermostat change was all that was needed. You might want to look at getting the right hose later on too, those flexible hoses aren't always as durable as rubber hose molded to fit. Be dang sure those fan and fan clutch bolts are on there at the proper torque, a loose bolt or two and then you have a rattling fan and/or a busted radiator or serpentine belt system when the fan flies off. Replace the radiator draincock when you can, it makes draining the coolant for coolant changes a breeze.

the best radiator fan clutch tool i found was at a napa. it was like 80 bux but considering that i broke all the ones from advance auto and autozone in like 2 seconds it was worth it. i hate to say that cause i work at advance auto but dang if that wasn't the crapiest set of tools i ever used. but then again i bought my fuel line stuff there and they have been beaten to a pulp and still work fine. as for flex hoses... stay away....should you ever actually have an overheating problem and one flys off and you have the hood up.... doesn't make your face look too good. i don't even offer those crappy things. they are too dangerous for people that actually work under their hoods. no body wants to be permantly scared on the face from a weekend of shade tree mechanic work.

can someone help me with this fan removal im stuck cant get it out

I did this a few years ago without the special tools. I used channel lock pliers on the big nut in the center. I think removed the serpentine belt and just used a strap wrench to keep the pulley from moving.

I remember hating doing the job. :)

I can't remember, but looking at the pictures in Chilton's, it almost looks like you could remove the smaller bolts attaching the fan to the clutch, at least to get that out of the way first.

Either way, definitely pull the radiator first so you can remove the fan shroud and have room to move (and curse) more freely.

Good luck!

Mike

can someone help me with this fan removal im stuck cant get it out

With the loaner tools....

The bigger wrench goes over the four bolts on the water pump pulley. The smaller wrench goes on the big nut on fan. Don't worry about putting the wrath of God on it when you go to put it back on, as when you crank it up and you run for a while, its sure going to tighten itself up for you. Hence why you will be cursing while trying to remove it.

I believe the fan goes on opposite thread...correct me if im wrong, but i just did this and the right tools for the job make it easy, i bought the right tools, air hammer and the fan removal kit, it was 79$ but its made me my money back X2 already, makes it easy as hell!

It is reverse threaded I believe. You can get the removal tools to keep for like $15 to keep. I got mine at advance or auto zone.

You shouldn't need to guess about the nut direction for the fan/water pump, there are instructions molded into the plastic fan shroud. Open the hood, look right on top of the fan shroud, you'll see it in big letters.

Hey Biggs, what on earth did you use the air hammer for??? :eek:

Mike

yeah my radiator is out of the way so is the cover for the fan. i removed the 4 bolts that are connected to the pulley thats on the water pump thinking it would just come free but that didnt work, im guessing this car has had fan problems cus the nut on the fan clutch is kinda stripped but i can still work with it, it aint that bad. as for instructions on the fan shroud i didnt see any. so i take it i have to put those 4 bolts back on or am i wrong?

I had the same problem with my fan. I actually spread the jaws of the wrench trying to turn it. Took it to the local ford garage and they knocked the nut loose with an air hamer with a pointed bit. It nicked up the nut a little but did not damage it to the point that it could not be used. I had to take the water pump out with the fan still attached. It's a PITA but can be done.

yeah my radiator is out of the way so is the cover for the fan. i removed the 4 bolts that are connected to the pulley thats on the water pump thinking it would just come free but that didnt work, im guessing this car has had fan problems cus the nut on the fan clutch is kinda stripped but i can still work with it, it aint that bad. as for instructions on the fan shroud i didnt see any. so i take it i have to put those 4 bolts back on or am i wrong?

4 bolts stay in and you use the big wrench with a breaker bar on those to keep the engine from turning, then you use the smaller one(really just a big wrench) to unscrew the fan clutch.

what good is a fan removal kit with out a breaker bar? now i need to go back and get one. Murrays sucks i might just walk to the advance auto parts again since its closer.

okay got it out thanks guys now all i need is to take out the water pump hopefully it wont be that hard from where i left off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its a professional fan removal kit, it requires an air hammer, the air hammer connects to a bar that connects to a wrench that goes directly to the fan nut, you hit the hammer and bam just as easy as that the fan is loose. Its very easy and takes no time to do. Its the only way to go, to hell with breaker bars and leavin the serpentine belt on.. noones ever seen one of these kits?

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=clutch+fan+removal+&Submit=Go

Back