Very Sloppy Steering

kdailey4315

Reaction score
City, State
Pacifica, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hey all,
I just bought a 92 x 4.0L with 83000 miles on it. When driving the steering is very sloppy. I will turn the steering wheel and sometimes it would turn but the wheels will not turn. Also when stepping on the brakes the car is all over the place, swirving back and forth. Lastly I get loud clunks when stepping on the brakes. It doesn't happen all the time but it is happening. I've done some searches. I know the info is out there but I'm frustrated right now and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

time to stop searching the internet and climb under the front end and find what's loose. As bad as you say it is, it may not take much to find the loose pieces. Grab the tie rods/steering linkages and see what's loose, check the ball joints, wheel bearings, and radius arm bushings.

I had a similar problem on mine, although it is a second generation. Check your intermediate steering shaft. It is between the firewall and steering box. Remove it and put one end in a vise, twist on the other and see if there is any slack at all.

Other problem could be your steering box-

the steering is probly your ball joints so jack up your fronts tires and move your tire side to side to see where the problem is find out whats loose and replace it then get it aligned. for the clunking while braking check the radius arm bushing its right next to the cat so it always gets burned up a

Apon further inspection I found that it is the steering shaft. Where the two shafts come together in the middle, I'm guessing it's a u joint. It's completely shot. The person before me put a screw down clamp on it. Is that easy to fix?

Apon further inspection I found that it is the steering shaft. Where the two shafts come together in the middle, I'm guessing it's a u joint. It's completely shot. The person before me put a screw down clamp on it. Is that easy to fix?

if your talking about the rag joint mine was torn as well. they have them in the 'HELP!' section of most auto parts stores. they don't fit right but with a little creativity with an angle grinder and drill you can make them work.

Swerving while braking could be that you need your rotors turned.

Well it gets better. I just bought this car but I wasn't able to test drive it on the freeway, just around the city. He showed me a clean carfax report while I was at his dealership. Today I decided to run my own carfax report because I had a bad feeling about this. It turns out that he rolled back the odomator and sold it to me as 83000 ORIGINAL miles, which HIS carfax report showed. I took it back to him with the right carfax and a business card of a lawyer that I know. He couldn't give me my money back fast enough. Just to be sure I filed a complaint with the BBB

So do you still have the X? I have a '93 with 225k on it. They will go forever provided you take care of them. I bet that clunk was the radius arm bushings. And it sound link you might need new tie rod ends and ro ball joints.

Never know unless you inspect all that stuff.

my 94 ford explorer limited has sloppy steering as well, but i checked all ball joints, tie rods, pitman arm, steering shaft, everything is tight, it seems to be in the steering box, i see there's an adjustment on top, i've heard it's dangerous to adjust if you never done it before, anyone ever done this?

The steering is supposed to return to center when you let go of the wheel, so you can tighten it a little bit till it feels ok. If it feels like it's binding and won't return to center on its own, back the nut off till it does. But you might need to change the steering gear. I'm still thinking about, and I've already rebuilt 3 times in the last 2 years :confused:

thanks for the info, I've made several trips from florida to indiana in the past few months and that really gets on my nerves when i drive on the interstate all night and having to constantly move the steering wheel back and forth.

i would suggest you get a steering damper/stabilizer. i'm having a similar problem with my 92 x and i am just trying to come up with the $60 to get it but i want it badly

where can i get one?

look into the steering box too.

Back