"Audiophile" Stereo? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Audiophile" Stereo?

2-ohms at the factory HU ? I´m only in doubt if the Ford-HU´s amplifier is 2-ohms stable. Most manufacturers write in their technical details only about 4 ohms or higher. So, if you are running this combination for mo´s w/o killing the amp : it´s stable. Modern amps shut off if they can´t run in powermatching-mode. That´s the only prob.

( I have no technical specs of the Ford-HU´s, so I can´t really say how they work )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think its an 8", but how to get to it, I have no idea. Anyone feel like posting a picture walk through of how to get the panel off and get to the sub and the amp in the back? Does the stock hole fit a 10"?

Also, does anyone know what the stock wiring setup is altogether? From what I can gather, its this... (the lines represent wires.... sorta)

HU==front and rear speakers on 4 different channels
\___low frequency line to the amp which powers the sub.

Am i right?

Repost (;

2-ohms at the factory HU ? I´m only in doubt if the Ford-HU´s amplifier is 2-ohms stable. Most manufacturers write in their technical details only about 4 ohms or higher. So, if you are running this combination for mo´s w/o killing the amp : it´s stable. Modern amps shut off if they can´t run in powermatching-mode. That´s the only prob.

( I have no technical specs of the Ford-HU´s, so I can´t really say how they work )

I replaced my factory HU a few weeks ago and my 2 ohm Kappas for the back doors just came in today. Hopefully they work okay with an Alpine IVA-W200.

Any pictures of the W200 in the vehicle? I was thinking about getting this now that I found out I can retain my factory wheel controls.

Any pictures of the W200 in the vehicle? I was thinking about getting this now that I found out I can retain my factory wheel controls.

Sorry these photos are so lousy. These are from my cellphone.....

W200-1.jpg

W200-2.jpg

W200-3.jpg

The iPod is in the glove box somewhere...

W200-4.jpg

Looks nice, thanks for posting. Did you pay the standard $999 or do you know of a deal?

anyone here know if I can fit a 10" sub in the stock setup with minor or no extra modifications?
EDIT: as it turns out..... no

And I had a hellofa time taking off the little sub-sidepanel that covers the subwoofer.... dont try it.

I just ordered my Kenwood DPX-701 and thought I remembered a picture tutorial on how to replace the head unit in this thread..... but its not here and I cant find it. I think Crizz posted it, and if you remember where it is or could repost it, I'd appreciate it.

Removing factory radio

I just ordered my Kenwood DPX-701 and thought I remembered a picture tutorial on how to replace the head unit in this thread..... but its not here and I cant find it. I think Crizz posted it, and if you remember where it is or could repost it, I'd appreciate it.

I don't remember where the photo tutorial was, but it's not that difficult.

1. Open the middle console and remove the two bolts in the front.
2. Carefully use a flat screw driver and pry the chrome shifter plate up (it doesn't take much).
3. Lift out that whole center panel.
3. Once that is removed, pull the faux wood trim towards you, grabbing it from the top above where the passenger airbag warning light is.
4. Be careful here as the wires behind that panel are short. It will take a bit to carefully unclip each wire from the panel. Don't worry, they are all different sizes and it is easy to figure out which one goes where.
5. Removing this panel requires you to move the shifter out of the way, so you will need to turn your starter to the ON position, apply the brake, and pull the shifter down. Obviosly, don't take your foot off the brake until the panel is removed completely and the shifter can be safely placed back in park.
6. At this point, the radio is held in by 4 screws. Remove them and then pull the radio out.

That's about it. Hope this helps and good luck!

Justin

Its a sticky in the "Stock 2006+ Explorers" section.

I don't know about any of you who have the pioneer/audiophile sound system for an 04, but it came with a "5/6 channel amp". If you look at the wires that are connected to the amp you can see that it has multiple wires running from it. Those wires are connected to each speaker on the interior of the car. As well as the subwoofer itself is a dual coil 4 ohm subwoofer so when you add a 4ohm single coil. You only get half the power you were usually getting but it will sound cleaner, but not as loud. If you had two single coil subwoofers like the pioneer shallow mounts which is what I did. You will get a fuller, and louder sound compared to the stock subwoofer because two singles equals one double. Its almost like they wanted to put 2 subs in the back but then changed their minds at the last minute because there are 2 wires that are connected to the dual coil subwoofer. I replaced mine due to a rip in the woofer which was making vibration noises. The new ones sound a lot better, but the stock amp definately needs to be redone. So if I were you go with a 2 subwoofer setup (8 inch subwoofer in stock location) and 10 inch subwoofer with custom box in the right rear passenger underseat section. Then later upgrade to a 5 or maybe even a 6 channel amp so you can tune your 2 subs at different levels to make one punch harder with the lower 60hz and below frequencies and one that will hit around 65-80hz frequency range. I hope I helped even though I just randomly came in.

Isn't the stereo for an '04 different than the one for the newer '06 style Ex?

Yes, quite different. It was completly redone.

In the 06 model, the headunit directly amplifies the 4 door speakers. A preamp output with a 5v turn on lead (not the standard 12v) runs to the subwoofer in the back, which has a ~65w amp mounted next to it. If I remember correctly, the subwoofer used was an 8" short depth style with dual voice coils, so as to run at 2 ohms.

I actually completly removed this subwoofer unit, replaced the headunit, door speakers, all wiring, and installed dual 12" woofers in the back. Well now I am pushing over 2000+ watts, have a 10farad capacitor and an upgraded alternator and it sounds amazing.

so i have a question to the people with the kappas, how did u mount the external crossover?

Use Double-Tape and place it beneath the mounting hole. Cable-straps helps fixing unused wirelenght.

thanks. getting mine today..... kinda anxious lol

removal of 08 HU

I'm also interested in replacing my stock HU but can't figure out how to get it out. It doesn't have the holes in the front of the unit like my '99. Does the trim get removed? How? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have a look at the "list of useful threads", i posted a manual for swapping the HU at the 2006 XP when I swapped the HU of my 2006 Eddie V8. Was listed there by admin.

Back