Timing chain question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain question

Reaction score
City, State
Sudbury
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 sport
Hey guys im new to this awesome site but am looking for a couple answers regarding the timing chain "tick" as they call it. Ive got an 01 sport with the SOHC 4.0 and at exactly 2500 rpm it "ticks" or almost sounds like an exhaust leak. Ive Bought the 00m12 recall kit and installed the new gaskets wich helped the stalling issue when cold, but the dealer says the tick is something else other than the chain tensioner. Has anyone else ever had this "tick" ??? And is it caused by the tensioner??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the tick on my 99 SOHC. It sounded like a diesel engine and I started having a really bad idle in cold. This was before I gave my vehicles the attention they deserved and so I didn't take it too seriously. Eventually my timing belt slipped and I had to replace the engine. If you take it to any reputable mechanic, they'll be able to hear it right away and tell you whether it is, indeed, a loosening timing chain. Unfortunately I think it's pretty expensive to have fixed (I've seen $600-700). I had the whole engine replaced for $2000.

Thanks bpopp, does anyone else think that this tick is caused by the recalled timing chain tensioner?? Would hate to waste my money if it wasnt!!

No. i dont think it would be a "tick", but more a rattle!

I have the same problem, and im turning it into ford to have it looked over so i know thats whats wrong. They should do a free inspection.

I have an 1997 V8 Auto that is also making the ticking noise when I accelerate. It just sounds like tick, tick tick. Almost like an exhaust leak up front. Does that sound like an exhaust leaking or timing chain?

Do you know when those should be changed?

Thanks

Hey guys im new to this awesome site but am looking for a couple answers regarding the timing chain "tick" as they call it. Ive got an 01 sport with the SOHC 4.0 and at exactly 2500 rpm it "ticks" or almost sounds like an exhaust leak. Ive Bought the 00m12 recall kit and installed the new gaskets wich helped the stalling issue when cold, but the dealer says the tick is something else other than the chain tensioner. Has anyone else ever had this "tick" ??? And is it caused by the tensioner??

I think thats just a sticky lifter, i have the same thing with my 5.0!

bud4ya, you don't have a timing chain thank god for the 5.0 v8 its the all reliable push rod design. its more then likely an exhaust leak, hard part is just tracking it down.

i have a 97 SOHC also but have had this "rattle" only once and that was due to the crappy engineers at ford designing plastic timing chain tensioners. i would have another mechanic other then ford look at it because they normally blaim it on the rear timing chain tensioners, which it is but they won't replace because you have to pull the engine to get them.

i would make sure you have had the recall done for the front timing chain tensioners, if so, then the only thing is to make sure it doesn't get worse. if it does either get someone to do it for ya or if your handy in the craft you buy the repair kit and do it yourself.

another question, i'm having problems sometimes with my truck staying idling when real cold out and i think its due to the O-rings for the intake. what all does the 00m12 recall kit come with?

That is GREAT news on the chain. So it is either a stcky lifter or exhaust leak. I can live with both of those. Just have to track down this tranny prob I am having on another post.

bud4ya, you don't have a timing chain thank god for the 5.0 v8 its the all reliable push rod design. its more then likely an exhaust leak, hard part is just tracking it down.

i have a 97 SOHC also but have had this "rattle" only once and that was due to the crappy engineers at ford designing plastic timing chain tensioners. i would have another mechanic other then ford look at it because they normally blaim it on the rear timing chain tensioners, which it is but they won't replace because you have to pull the engine to get them.

i would make sure you have had the recall done for the front timing chain tensioners, if so, then the only thing is to make sure it doesn't get worse. if it does either get someone to do it for ya or if your handy in the craft you buy the repair kit and do it yourself.

another question, i'm having problems sometimes with my truck staying idling when real cold out and i think its due to the O-rings for the intake. what all does the 00m12 recall kit come with?

Ya the 00m12 recall kit comes with lower intake o-rings and plenum o-rings, I installed mine last week and it idles awesome now, where as before it would not idle at all in this -25 degree canadian weather. The kit also comes with the front tensioner, oil gallery stick and some plug and washer im not sure to do with.

Oh BTY, the 5.0's still have a timing chain. But one from the crankshaft to the camshaft!
Now on the SOHC, i hear the rattle inside my cab at around 2500 rpm. Is this bad. Ive been driving like a panzy and refusing all races cause i dont want to jump it before i can get it in the shop! It really sounds like a timing chain tensioner, but would LOVE to save the $$ if i can! Im a busser and Expo at a restarunt and i make 5.15 + tips bussing and 8.50 + tips expoing, and i work about 30 hourzs a wee so thats like 150 - 200 bucks every two weeks, andi still gotta gas this beast. Im sure alot of you know that feeling!

Back